Cleaned IAC, car has high idle

crew_dawg16

Apr 25, 2004
DeKalb, IL
A friends car was having idle problems where the car was bogging down and almost dying at idle. We cleaned his IAC and put everything back together, now the car has a high idle (~1600 rpms). We double checked our work and can't find anything wrong. Can it be stuck open now?

EDIT: The car is a 95 GT

• Sponsors (?)

also, did you clear the KAM afterwards? if not, the duty cycle was probably at 100% all the time when it was dirty (adaptive control), and now it is clean and that much dwell is allowing a high idle. I would clear the KAM before buying a new one.

good luck.

It's possible that you tore some of the rubber inside the unit, or tore the gasket as well. It's also possible the base cracked -- they can do that if tightened down too much. I would probably get a couple from junkyards before I bought a new one -- supposedly the Ford ones are the only good ones and I don't even know if they're available anymore.

BTW -- KAM? Little help? :shrug:

crewdawg - Sounds like what my friends car had happening to it...I would disconnect the battery when cleaning it out...and then reconnect it afterwards and maybe that will help???

89MustangGX said:
BTW -- KAM? Little help? :shrug:
Keep Alive Memory.

It is the computer's memory (and why we disconnect the battery for ~30 mins after mods/maintenance to sensors/adaptive functions - to discharge the capacitors in the KAM/memory).

Adam, that was nice of you to ask for others - I know you know what it is. ;)

95gtdude said:
Hey guys, My car is the one Crew dawg is talking about. I changed the IAC and we got the 1500 RPM again. I'm thinking it's the postion sensor but don't know the voltage specs.
under ~0.97 volts if fine with the throttle closed. the puter zeroes the TPS out (and if it is out of spec, it will toss a code).

whether the car dies or idle changes with the IAC unplugged depends upon how someone set the idle - some folks set the warm idle (with no load) so the car idles w/o the IAC). so that might not indicate anything.

good luck.

I had the same problem when I tried to clean mine. The IAC valve at autozone will not work. You need to get the one at Pepboys that looks exactly like the one you have. I can't remember the manufacturer's name, but if I hear it, I will remember it. That will solve your problems.
Scott

A friends car was having idle problems where the car was bogging down and almost dying at idle. We cleaned his IAC and put everything back together, now the car has a high idle (~1600 rpms). We double checked our work and can't find anything wrong. Can it be stuck open now?

EDIT: The car is a 95 GT
I have a 94 Cobra that all of a sudden started very high idling,between 2500 & 3000 rpms,its the 302 v8 cobra started 2 months ago.after looking at chiltons book I changed the MAF mass air flow because when I un-plugged it idle, dropped to 1000 rpms,plugged in the new one idle went back to 3000,next I changed the tps throttle position sensor,new one did not help.next I changed the iac idle air control,when I removed the old one and compared it to the new one the spring inside the old one was out of position compared to the new one. this fixed my high idle problem that I had for 2 months,the car runs great now.i hope this helps mustang owners with high idle problems. 09-21-2016 Kozy.