Cleaning pistons/block etc...

latham83

Jul 24, 2003
Hey My block is gunked with oil and all kinds of dirt..whats the best way to clean it up and what can i use...also on the pistons there is black carbon buildup i guess, what can i use to clean them up and everything around them inside there...thanks

• Sponsors (?)

latham83 said:
Hey My block is gunked with oil and all kinds of dirt..whats the best way to clean it up and what can i use...also on the pistons there is black carbon buildup i guess, what can i use to clean them up and everything around them inside there...thanks
I just did this today. I scraped the gasket material off w/ a razor blade and used brake cleaner on the gasket surfaces and the pistons. Spray it in the cyc. and let it sit for a few min and use either a rag and wipe around in the same spot back and forth real fast or I also used steel wool. You can get the tough steel wool for engines and stuff, but I used the fine stuff cause that's all we had. I posted this the other day and they said to use Acetone to clean the oils and crap off. If you have trouble w/ the gaskets, they also have gasket remover, which I bought, but didn't end up using because it wasn't that big of a deal for me. I also sanded the gasket surfaces with sand paper. I lightly went around the cyclinders with the steel wool as well. Mine looks pretty good and i'm ready to pick up my parts in the morning and get it thrown back together :banana: