Cleaning Underside Of Engine Bay.

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
Ok, looking to clean the years old oil and what not off the bottom of the engine Bay Area. Mainly the oil pan area and steering rack.

I'm reading of using Brake clean but I don't wanna start melting gaskets or boots.

• Sponsors (?)

Purple power or super clean. Don't get it your eyes, it has a mild caustic in it. Soak, scrub, rinse.

Reactions: 1 user
I know that I used some gunk heavy duty degreaser, it worked really well.

I went to a car wash, popped the hood and hosed it all down below and above.

I forgot how long I let it soak, I used whatever time the directions said. Then power washed it off.

Everything looked nice and clean. Made changing out an oil pump, rear main seal and timing cover gasket a lot less of a dirty fix.

You'd be amazed at how good Purple Power and a pressure washer works on a nasty, greasy engine and bay.

Soak, blast and repeat!

You'd be amazed at how good Purple Power and a pressure washer works on a nasty, greasy engine and bay.

Soak, blast and repeat!
This. I've used Gunk. Purple power beats the chit out of it. NOTHING I've ever seen, including acetone works as well.

This was much easier than expected. Spayed with mean green, waited, sprayed again, waited, then pressured washed and watch the grease just come off. I'm constantly amazed how clean this car is under the dirt and grime.

Purple Power has got to be the best degreaser out there. I do my driveway with it every 2-3 months. Turns the spot where my Mustang leaks a little oil and power steering fluid back into like-new concrete, and gets rid of any little "oops" moments that oil changes and maintenance have left behind. I've used it to de-grease many an engine bay, and to pre-treat laundry and clean greasy sinks and bathtubs as well. (Happens when you turn wrenches for a living).

This. I've used Gunk. Purple power beats the chit out of it. NOTHING I've ever seen, including acetone works as well.

I keep Purple in stock here at the house. I have a large Rubbermaid tote out in my barn full of water and Purple Power. I keep the lid on it so whenever I need to clean up something car related, I drop it in. Let it soak for awhile, scrub if needed and rinse it.
You guys should try that on an old used intake. comes out clean inside and out.

Reactions: 1 users