Clear coat peeling in a small spot. Will Wet Sanding Help?

91LX_5L

Founding Member
May 13, 2002
British Columbia
Ok I was masking off around my fender so I could paint my inner fenders etc black to look all nice again, when I removed the masking tape a little chunk of clear cote peeled off about the size of a quarter. I tried chipping it away with my finger nail so it would be all flush, now I have a line about the size of a quarter a bit bigger of where you can notice that the clear cote has peeled. Now when I got my bumper and hood done he laied down a quick layer of clear on my fenders so it would match wicked. So I still have another few layers underneith and it looks just as shiny and good in that spot.

So to prevent it from peeling and spreading more I was thinking of wet sanding that area probay about 5x5" around the spot (about 1.5" x 1.5").

Will this work? How do I wetsand I have never done it before?

Also has anyone heard of or know anyone who has had their car wetsanded then another cote of clear sprayed all over then wetsanded again? I was thinking of doing that to just bring the shineyness back before I go for an entire new paint job, since my paint is still in wicked shape.

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

like a soft pad or just a block of wood lol? I havent really done much bodywork before.

Like i said when i got my hood painted the guy added a extra layer of clear on both side front pannels to get it to match good. So its not the factory clear.

91LX_5L said:
like a soft pad or just a block of wood lol? I havent really done much bodywork before.

Like i said when i got my hood painted the guy added a extra layer of clear on both side front pannels to get it to match good. So its not the factory clear.
they sell a faom pad for sanding

If its nor factory,maybe it wasnt prepped roght or too think and didnt get the right adhesion

I think thats the problem, or he put his finger right in that spot and I just got bad luck. Because I got a chip a few inches away and I tried picking at it slightly and it didnt peel there?

IM attempting a fix. Ill show u guys pics if it works lol.

Pics Added!

Well here are some pics.

paint.jpg

paint2.jpg

You can see the outline of the wetsanding there at the top of the closeup pic and some slight runs near the mid/bottom area of the area. I think ill try another light wet-sanding again. Or do you think I should just leave it before I mess it up lol? Note I only used scratch remover and my porter cable 7224 to polish it up after wetsanding.

I think it turned out well, if you didnt know you would never notice it as you can see from the pic about 2 feet back.