"Clunk" in rear end upon acceleration

green94droptop

Founding Member
Jul 8, 2001
Orlando, FL
There is a pretty noticeable clunk sound coming from the rear end the second I start . It feels like the rear end is shifting to the left or right. It even happens when reversing the moment I start out. Keep in mind this only happens as soon as take off, then it stops. Almost like a real apparent suspension pre-load is happening. When I slow down for a stop sign and then take off again, it happens once again.

The last time this happened all it was was a lose sway bar; so I tightened those up and no problem from there on. This time all the bolts are tight including upper and lower control arm bolts. I did however notice about 1/4" of play in the driveshaft. So I called the guy who did my gears a couple years ago and he said it was normal to have a little bit of play in there.

I also looked at the torque boxes and it doesn't look like there is any apparent damage to them.

Anybody have any suggestion or had any similar experiences?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

yep, upper control arm bushings on the axle. might as well replace them with sphericals, got mine for about $85 through a UPR distributor.

use a holesaw on a drill to drill out enough of the rubber (get a long one, mine was too short and only went 2/3 of the way) And a sawzall, the diameter of the holesaw isnt too picky but Id try to take as much of the rubber out as possible whit it, then use the sawzall to cut a slot in the shell then it will slide right out.

It turned out to be bolts. I'll tell ya, if those control arm bolts aren't hammered down to a pulp, my arms don't like 'em. So, I found out that my jack is multipurpose. I took off the handle and used it for more leverage on the bolts and cranked those SOB's down! No more clunking.

Thanks for your help guys. I'll be putting in a Tremec 3550 pretty soons and going back to the track for some better times (hopefully).