Clutch Cable Problem

Jman142

Founding Member
Aug 2, 2002
CT
Whenever I push the clutch pedal down when the car is started the pedal feels loose and I can not shift in to a differernt gear. I adjusted it as far as it will go upwards and it was fine then 10 mins later it happened again. Then I see the housing where the cable enteres the firewall is loose. Everytime you push the pedal the housing moves. I believe theres a clip on the other side that is suppose to hold the housing in place. I think this clip broke off. Someone told me that if the clip breaks off you have to buy a whole new clutch cable? Is this true? For now I put a few spacers in between the housing and firewall and its working, but the spacers are nylon and they wont hold. Just wondering if I can buy just the clip for it or I really do have to buy a whole new cable. Hoping for an awnser, thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like it may be stretched out to me. I just replaced my stretched out one testerday, and it made a world of difference. Sometimes it wouldn't go in gear, but my pedal never got really loose. Also, the tension on the plastic where it goes into the firewall should hold it in place without a clip. If your cable is so loose that it is comming out, odds are it is stretched. Hope this helps ya',

-Adam