clutch engagement

ncth282

Jul 17, 2006
I have a 2005 mustang v6 with around 24500 miles on it. I got the thing back when it had 4800 miles on it but I didnt have my lisence yet so my dad drove it some for 8 months and it had around 11k miles when I finnaly got my lisence. Anyway I feel like the clutch is much different than when I got the car, even when it had 11k miles on it. My mustang was the first car I ever drove manual in, and I learned to drive before I got my lisence in it. Since I hit about 20k miles I feel like the clutch engages very high up. It doesn't ever slip when the clutch is fully released and ive even done the slip test in 5th gear with the parking brake on and reved it to 2k and released the clutch, and it stops in a split second but lets out a loud screech first (is that normal?) The clutch is noisless when normally engaging, but I feel like hills are sometimes a bitch to get going on and I have to slip the clutch for too long before fully releasing the clutch to get going up the hill. Also I feel like the clutch is harder to engage when the A/C is on. By harder to engage I mean it feels like when I get to the engagment point its like theres maybe an inch at the most of play between engagment point and fully released and I feel like i have to slip the clutch more than I should have to. Sometimes the clutch feels nice and engages around the middle on flat ground. SHifting once moving is easy. I don't know if this is how the v6 clutch just is and maybe I got spoiled driving my friends 04 mustang gt 5 speed. His clutch is a dream, its a bit stiffer but it engages right off the floor and makes hills a peice of cake. ANy opinions on this problem?

• Sponsors (?)

No one has any input? heh don't be discouraged by my long post :p

a good clutch pedal adjustment is about half way up it's travel from floor. If your's doesn't engage til almost all the way out it sounds either out of adjustment, or worn out. A clutch that engages right off the floor sometimes won't disengage completely making for clunky or grinding shifts. A clutch pedal that doesn't engage til all the way out will normally slip, but you say yours doesn't after the fifth gear test. It sounds to me like an adjustment will fix your pedal.

thanks for the input. now that i'm pretty confident my clutch is in good shape still, how can I go about adjusting the clutch? The 2005+ stangs all have hydraulic clutches and I didn't think they were adjustable. I am consiering putting a new stage 1 clutch for the v6 in but I don't know if I'll need a new flywheel with it and I don't want to dump anymore money into my car right now.
Hills are a real pain in the ass, and the clutch seems to engage higher with the a/c on and with 4 people in the car. with the car packed, taking off from a stop can be a pain too.

One thing to add is that while driving with my foot on the gas slightly crusing at about 35-40mph in 4th gear, I pressed the clutch down to see at what point the rpms would shoot up without the car accelerating (disengage) and I barely pushed it down a half an inch before it happened.

thanks for the input. now that i'm pretty confident my clutch is in good shape still, how can I go about adjusting the clutch? The 2005+ stangs all have hydraulic clutches and I didn't think they were adjustable. I am consiering putting a new stage 1 clutch for the v6 in but I don't know if I'll need a new flywheel with it and I don't want to dump anymore money into my car right now.
Hills are a real pain in the ass, and the clutch seems to engage higher with the a/c on and with 4 people in the car. with the car packed, taking off from a stop can be a pain too.

One thing to add is that while driving with my foot on the gas slightly crusing at about 35-40mph in 4th gear, I pressed the clutch down to see at what point the rpms would shoot up without the car accelerating (disengage) and I barely pushed it down a half an inch before it happened.

there has to be an adjustment for travel. Check w/Ford. 1/2" is not good, just a little wear and your clutch will be slipping. The adjustment is to compensate for a little wear over the life of the clutch.