clutch/flywheel... before i buy, want to check to make sure its right...

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
Getting a fidanza aluminum flywheel, 157 teeth, adjustable weight (0-28.5-50oz... i'd use the 28.5 i believe), and a king cobra clutch (10.5", 10 spline). These are going on an 89 T5/bellhousing mating to a 69 351w. If someone could quickly confirm these are the correct parts, I'll go ahead and order them. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I dont know anything about the king cobra clutch, but the flywheel will be fine with your set up.

Where are you planning on getting your flywheel from? I got my Fidanza from a dealer on ebay and I got an awesome deal.

I had ordered that same flywheel and actually had it ready to install when I was talked out of it. D.Hearne was actually one that informed me that these flywheels have less inertia therefore the user has to reach higher rps when leaving the light in stop and go traffic. These flywheels are used primarily for race engines...but if you feel its right for your application than go for it. Just letting you know.

Matt

I had ordered that same flywheel and actually had it ready to install when I was talked out of it. D.Hearne was actually one that informed me that these flywheels have less inertia therefore the user has to reach higher rps when leaving the light in stop and go traffic. These flywheels are used primarily for race engines...but if you feel its right for your application than go for it. Just letting you know.

Matt

While thats true, the consensus on the 5.0 board is that its a somewhat over-stated effect. A ton of guys have them on their 5.0s and really like them, as does a classic owner on here that chimed in a few days ago in my other thread. I got a deal on ebay that meant i pretty much paid the same for the aluminum one as i would on the billet steel, and i like the idea of faster revs, less wear on the engine/transmission, and less rotational weight in general.

I did take his advice and get a Centerforce though.

I think that all depends on your engine combo - I have not noticed any drivability issues when I went from my stock flywheel on the 289 to the aluminum flywheel on the 347. I can tell it can rev faster but it drives the same.

The differents will be on how you want to use the car. A 20lb steel is still best for a street driven car. The alum. fly wheel will make it a little harder to start out from a dead stop, where you will really notice the differents is when you let off the gas coming up to a corner or a stop. The car will slow much quicker, good for a road course or auto cross but not as smooth on the street. If drag racing is the main objective I would go heavier to help on the line. I had a 30lb wheel on a 289 that I raced and it really helped the E.T. Although the 289 didn't have much for torque. I currently have a 13lb alum on a 347 but this car is set up for road racing. The new centerforce cluches are much heavier than the old long style so you rotating mass will not be as light as you my think

I tend to agree with the others, an aluminum flywheel on a 351 will be more "street friendly" than the same wheel on a 289. This is due to the higher torque of the 351, it doesn't need as much help of the line. As for the King Cobra cluthc, I used a heavy duty unit for a 94-95 Stang in my Ranger , it's just a tad less grip than the Cobra unit, but even the mild 5.0 in it now easily overpowered the HD clutch, with the 331, it wasn't even close. I ran the HD clutch for a day then parked it till I got the Centerforce unit in it.

torque and gearing also have an effect on how easy or hard a car is to launch. light weight flywheel, with lots of low end torque, car launches well. lightweight flywheel with lots of gear launches well. lightweight flywheel with little torque or gear, car launches like crap.

torque and gearing also have an effect on how easy or hard a car is to launch. light weight flywheel, with lots of low end torque, car launches well. lightweight flywheel with lots of gear launches well. lightweight flywheel with little torque or gear, car launches like crap.

Well, I do think the 351w's torque will help compensate for the flywheel. And I also think the flywheel will, in turn, help compensate for my fairly tame rear ratio at the moment. My t-5 does have the numerically higher (and unfortunately weaker) 3.31 or something 1st gear, which'll help get it off the line. We'll see, it should start going in next weekend.