clutch going bad? or low fluid?

iBoost5o

Nov 29, 2004
Hi, I took my stang out to the track tonight. The car has literally spun its way into 14.01 @ 101.6mph. On b-rated 20 dallor used ****s i got at discount :D. Anyways... the car is basicly stock. x-pipe, 3.73s e303. whoopty doo. Tonight a buddy lent me bigger better tires, 1 size up i believe but khomo's or whatever. Good V pattern unlike my gay sqaures on my **** tires. Anyways. . . when i shifted into second gear the shift light cam on in a snap, but the car didn't go any-where. wtf? :shrug: It has a cobra clutch i replaced two summers ago. Although the only abuse i've given it is straight line gear banging i've never riden it, never down shifted hard (ever...) I guess what i mean is = yes it's been put through some paces, but not abused like a 16 year old with a lazy foot or something.

So... has my cobra let me down? or could it be slipping because it's low on hydra-fluid? anyone ever have anything similar to this happen? I'm gonna check it tomorrow anyway. But I didn't see any post like this so I thought it may be helpful in the future.

My guess... Too much torque from the bigger tires + not enough fluid = clutch backed right the hell off n' slipped...

Wutcha' think? thanks!!
iboost5o :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Check the hydraulic fluid level and let us know. It should be on the "full" mark. If the fluid is fine, then its most likely lack of power to make ur neck go "snap" or a worn out clutch. Keep us posted.

ps. Our cars have cable clutches, If you find a hydraulic fluid fill port, please post pics.

As everyone else mentioned, your car has a cable clutch; not hydraulic. When a clutch starts going bad, you will notice that in 4th or 5th gear if you mash the gas, that your revs will climb abnormally quickly, and you won't accelerate. If this is not the case, my guess is that the posi in your rearend is bad, and you are getting one-wheel-peel out of the hole with your friends stickier tires.

NKau said:
As everyone else mentioned, your car has a cable clutch; not hydraulic. When a clutch starts going bad, you will notice that in 4th or 5th gear if you mash the gas, that your revs will climb abnormally quickly, and you won't accelerate. If this is not the case, my guess is that the posi in your rearend is bad, and you are getting one-wheel-peel out of the hole with your friends stickier tires.

What he said.... :nice:

I have a question also...
I can't get my car into first - unless im at a complete stop otherwise when i'm rolling at 5mph i have to either grind it in :nonono: or just put it in 2nd and lug it :nonono: . Does this mean a worn clutch? also this has to be tearing up my trans. ..?

hey bro.

Greenfive-oh8 said:
I have a question also...
I can't get my car into first - unless im at a complete stop otherwise when i'm rolling at 5mph i have to either grind it in :nonono: or just put it in 2nd and lug it :nonono: . Does this mean a worn clutch? also this has to be tearing up my trans. ..?

Hm... possible snycros going? has it ever been tough getting it out of gear?

Hey man

NKau said:

Thanks, I feel like a dumbass... It does have a cable, although some were hydrualic. anyways, So it could be the clutch and the posi?

Go out on the highway, and in 5th gear mat the gas and see what happens. If rpms shoot up without the car accelerating, your clutch is probably toast, or the disc has oil on it or something.
As far as the posi, I figured that might account for the revs shooting up in second; if you were breaking traction and not noticing it. When your posi is bad, you will experience the phenomenon known as one-wheel-peel. One tire spins, and you don't go anywhere. The purpose of the posi is to offer better straightline traction by effectively "locking" both axles together, but the clutches in the posi slip to allow easy cornering. After 100K, most factory trak-lok units have had it. You can check by putting the rear of the car on jackstands, putting the car in neutral (after chocking the fronts wheels) and have someone hold one wheel while you try and turn the one on the other side of the diff by hand. If you can easily spin one wheel with the other being held, chances are the clutches in your posi have taken a dirt nap. When they are really gone, you can spin one wheel by hand and the other wheel will turn in the opposite direction; with a posi, they should both turn forward. Good luck.

NKau said:
Go out on the highway, and in 5th gear mat the gas and see what happens. If rpms shoot up without the car accelerating, your clutch is probably toast, or the disc has oil on it or something.
As far as the posi, I figured that might account for the revs shooting up in second; if you were breaking traction and not noticing it. When your posi is bad, you will experience the phenomenon known as one-wheel-peel. One tire spins, and you don't go anywhere. The purpose of the posi is to offer better straightline traction by effectively "locking" both axles together, but the clutches in the posi slip to allow easy cornering. After 100K, most factory trak-lok units have had it. You can check by putting the rear of the car on jackstands, putting the car in neutral (after chocking the fronts wheels) and have someone hold one wheel while you try and turn the one on the other side of the diff by hand. If you can easily spin one wheel with the other being held, chances are the clutches in your posi have taken a dirt nap. When they are really gone, you can spin one wheel by hand and the other wheel will turn in the opposite direction; with a posi, they should both turn forward. Good luck.

alright, well I went out and tried the 4th/5th gear thing. it seemed fine (the clutch) So i guess i'll jack up the car and try that posi test. I'll let you know how it works out.

iboost5o