Clutch or Clutch Cable or Other??? Shifting issues

Winfaulker

Apr 2, 2009
Ok, So I searched the forums and couldn't really get a specific answer to my conundrum. I have been troubleshooting this for a while and I am just stuck now.

Here is the deal. Had a bad cable about 6 months ago. I installed a UPR Firewall adjuster, a 5.0 resto quick release quadrant. and a Ford OEM Cable. I don't know what clutch is in the car, or how old it is, pretty heavy pedal though.

After this install the car drove and shifted beautifully. Absolutely no issues. Slowly over the last six months shifting has gotten progressively worse and worse. It got to the point where it would not go into first gear when running, and when driving would not downshift. My first thought is a stretched cable causing the clutch to not fully disengage. I put an adjustable cable from 5.0 rest in and it made almost NO difference. So now I am thinking pressure plate. But before just assuming it the clutch I decide to take the cable out, reroute to make sure it isnt binding. I also flushed the fluid. BAM it was shifting perfect again. I was relieved!! That was yesterday. I get in it today and now it is worse than ever, every gear is a grinding wall. Cable seems fine and is adjusted correctly.

So, now I'm thinking clutch again but I'm not sure. Why would it work fine yesterday and suck ass today??? Any help is greatly appreciated guys. I'm trying to sell this car and would rather not do a clutch job unless I have too. Thanks!!!

• Sponsors (?)

what fluid did you flush ? If it's grabbbing at the top then it's causing it to be constantly disengaging when driving. if adjustment isn't fixing it then the clutch is most likely worn. where was the clutch engaging when you had it 1st set. remember that if the pedal is giving right of the floor the cable is too loose and up high it's too tight. It needs to engage right around 1/2 way it's travel or about 2" or so and have about 1/2" to and 1" of end play or looseness in the pedal. If you have it adjusted properly and it keeps going away suspect worn clutch.

Thanks skunk, I used Dex/Merc multi purpose, I filled it to the fill plug. When I first had it adjusted it was engaging around 3/4 of the way up. Even now it def isn't too high up, I have it gripping where I normally would. It NEVER disengages while driving, while driving it grips solid and constant. The problem is certainly with disengaging when stepping on the pedal/

What issues might a aftermarket short throw create? I have a steeda short throw and im having issues changed the fluid improved a ton. I have a MM quadrant kit getting installed in 2 weeks.

none unless the stops aren't adjusted properly or locked and it causes problems getting into gear. I have a MGW and MMS kit and everything is smooth. never know about some of the cheap crap that shows up on ebay either, just was curious is all to see if that could be it.