Clutch Pedal Swap

nugget68

Sep 26, 2005
I have a 68 w/ a c4 and was planning on putting in a T5. I need the clutch pedal and want to go the cheapest route possible, but maintaining a safe vehicle. I remember reading some where the you could just add a clutch pedal and cut your beake pedal to match. My problem is finding just a pedal for the 68 mustang, it seems that everyone has an assembly that they want $300-$500 for, but if i dont need the whole thing, no sense in buying it. I did however find a few listings for 65/66 pedals, which leads me to my question, can they be adapted fairly easy to a 68? Thanks in advance...
nugget68

• Sponsors (?)

What I did was I bought a mustang steve cable clutch conversion. It includes all the pedals with the bushings removed and upgraded with bearings. He fabricates a quadrant on top of the clutch pedal to use a early 90's adjustable cable clutch. This was the easiest route for me b/c I also converted to a manual from an automatic so I didn't have to scrounge up all that mechanical linkage, it's just a cable to the transmission.

http://www.mustangsteve.com/

i too had Mustang Steve modify my pedal. i sent him my auto brake pedal. he mounted a clutch pedal on it, did the cable conversion along with roller bearings. very reasonably priced as well

I bought a '68 clutch pedal on ebay for $65 and a very nice manual brake pedal for $10. I borrowed a buddys clutch assist spring bracket and copied it for free, so I have a nice set of pedals for a whopping $75. You need to be patient when shopping on ebay, especially with Mustang parts. They made a zillion of everything and it all winds up on ebay for a decent price if you just wait long enough.

I bought a '68 clutch pedal on ebay for $65 and a very nice manual brake pedal for $10. I borrowed a buddys clutch assist spring bracket and copied it for free, so I have a nice set of pedals for a whopping $75. You need to be patient when shopping on ebay, especially with Mustang parts. They made a zillion of everything and it all winds up on ebay for a decent price if you just wait long enough.

Yep. Youse other guys must be rich or something, the way yall toss the cabbage around. :shrug:

To me, there's times to make your own and invest some time, and there's times when you just need to pay the experts. But its all in how you allocate your resources.

Carry on..... :D

They won't fit. The '65-'66 manual trans pedals are fairly common and reasonably priced. Also, be aware that '67 and '68 clutch pedals are a bit different. The '68's have a slight bend to clear the '68's collapsible column, but I think you could bend a '67 to fit.

Ok well then I have a problem... I can find plenty of 65/66 clutch pedals around but no 67or 69's anywhere to be had. I know if I'm patient that one may pop up on ebay but is there a way to modify the 65/66 to fit?

I may just end up using the mustangsteve assembly, it's not really a bad deal for what you get.