Clutch Problems... Won't disengage...

swiller of beer

Jan 4, 2004
I installed a new clutch today and now it wont disengage fully... The old clutch would disengage but would grab a little bit (1/2 inch)off the floor... The car (89 LX) still has the stock cable and quadrant... Could it be that my cable is stretched??? I also need some info on a good adjustable setup... I did a search and am still a bit confused about what parts are of good quality and recommended...

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like your cable is not adjusted properly. Have you tried adjusting the cable at the fork any? That would be the first thing to try. As for an adjustable setup, I like the steeda adjuster and quadrant, but if i had it to do again, i would get a factory cable to go with them instead of the steeda cable. :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
UPR has a good quadrant and firewall set, but you'll want to use a new Ford stock cable to adjust everything right. Put the cable on the 2nd quadrant hook and twiddle with the FWA until it engages where you want it to.

Ash

Asha'man said:
UPR has a good quadrant and firewall set, but you'll want to use a new Ford stock cable to adjust everything right. Put the cable on the 2nd quadrant hook and twiddle with the FWA until it engages where you want it to.

Ash
Sounds like a good plan, I have the Steeda stuff, and the cable has worked fine, but leaves a little to be desired. It sits closer to my headers than stock.

have you tried pulling up on your pedal? That is supposed to click and tighten the stock quadrant adjustment.

I recommend the alum. stuff as stated above, dont keep the plastic factory stuff.

I did pull up on the pedal, and it did no good... Now if I have someone hold up on the pedal while I push in on the fork a little bit it works for a few pushes of the pedal and then it goes back the way it was....