Clutch Question

CobraII_Andy

Mar 14, 2004
Dear Sirs,
I am attempting the T-5 conversion from auto using the later model
(T-5) bellhousing. I bought a set of pedals off ebay and getting ready
to put engine and tranny back in. I have a couple questions.

Can I use an aftermarket adjustable clutch cable? I saw this one
on ebay. But I don't think the II's used a quadrant, but attached
directly to pedal (manual says a clevis). What do I need to attach to
firewall and pedal? Napa guy did not have anything.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33730&item=2466980432

How far back will shifter be? All the conversation on this conversion
refers to the II bellhousing. Should I look at getting that T-5 shift relocator?

Thanks for any help. I read forum regularly and will be putting my order in shortly for Stumpy's traction bars.

• Sponsors (?)

Wouldnt it be easier (and smoother actuation) to install an aftermarket hydraulic setup instead of cable?
I had a T-5 in my car several years ago, but I can't remember the details of what I had to do. I remember having to cut the tunnel, maybe 2 or 3 inches back from the original shifter hole.

I think I used the stock 4-speed MII bell, and resized the input shaft bearing collar to fit the bell, but I had issues with it shifting properly, likely due to something I overlooked.(input shaft length perhaps)

If you plan on using the late model T-5 bell, (which is larger) you may have interference issues with headers, starter and/or firewall, because the II is so small. Also, which flywheel will you use? The stock MII unit is smaller diameter(and is very freekin heavy) than the late model, and the early small blocks (-1981) utilize the 28-oz flywheel weight, whereas the 1981.5+ motors utilize the 50-oz weight.