clutch recommendations...

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
ok i am ready to get a clutch kit for my stang.

the cars only real mods are going to be the B cam, rockers, and gears. so its still pretty stock.

i was thinking the HD FRPP kit ( the 160$ one)
is this really a better grabbing clutch or is it just an OEM clutch but they talk like its big???

or should i go with the cheap 115$ oreilys kit??

any other cheap kits that are good quality??

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldnt cheap out but with your car you dont really have to get anything special. OEM would probly suffice, but to be safe you could get a king cobra clutch. They are somewhat heavy, but the HD ones are supposed to be even worse.

Confusion is in the mind of the beholder ...

Yes, "Ford Racing" makes two different HD kits for our cars.
The "HD" kit for bout $150 and then the "King Cobra" kit for about $170 from some retailers.

The KC kit comes with a pressure plate that has revised prong geometry to improve the pedal effort ... in other words, you don't have to leg it as hard to push in the clutch, but it grips the disc and flywheel just as good.

Get the KC if you're on a tighter budget ... otherwise pay $300 for a Centerforce DF or equivalent.

I went with the KC which is a good clutch, but if I could do it over again I would have gone with a SPEC Stage 2. My friend went with the Stage 2 and with the same quadrant, cable and adjuster; his pedal is a lot smoother and lighter.

I know it's expensive, but the Centerforce Dual Friction went into my '90 LX in 1995, which was 10 years, 90,000 miles, 2 engines, 2 exhausts, and a million other changes ago, and it still works great. So it may have been the cheapest part I actually put on in terms of performance per dollar. The only clutch-related thing I ever had to change was a grinding throwout bearing about 25,000 miles ago, but that was a Ford part that went in with the Centerforce in 1995.

I know it's expensive, but the Centerforce Dual Friction went into my '90 LX in 1995, which was 10 years, 90,000 miles, 2 engines, 2 exhausts, and a million other changes ago, and it still works great. So it may have been the cheapest part I actually put on in terms of performance per dollar. The only clutch-related thing I ever had to change was a grinding throwout bearing about 25,000 miles ago, but that was a Ford part that went in with the Centerforce in 1995.

now thats what I call service! How many tranny's have you been thru....is my question? :)
Jack

kornchild4life said:
The ford HD clutch grips nicely just the clutch pedel is stiff, after awhile you get use to it just if you get stuck in traffic you'll hate it. I have it now and I want to change it.

oh man, you got that right. i hate that damn thing. kills in traffic. FoxFan88, i'd go with KC - smoother, easier response. not as expensive as the Centerforce, but still good quality.

In fact, I still have the original trans and rear end, although the shifts are a little notchy, and I'm not too sure about the state of the posi. But the Centerforce is still working fine. Car now has 180k miles on it. Given my experience, I will always use a Centerforce clutch if I can.

As others have stated, the KC is a good clutch for the money. Pedal effort is near stock. The HD FRPP kit has a hard pedal as mentioned but if money isn't that tight then I would go with a Zoom Kevlar. Easier than the KC in pedal effort but grips and lasts much longer.