Clutch Troubleshooting

TazerRE

Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Bellingham, WA
I've been having problems with my clutch lately. It doesn't seem to want to engage. After it DOES engage, it's mostly fine (though it will occasionally slip a bit), and I can get on it without any problem. I let the pedal out, and it like waits to engage, and sometimes shakes like mad. (it's not motor mounts or tranny crossmember, checked both)

I totally replaced the whole thing about 6 months ago (disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing). I know I need to get my flywheel resurfaced (stupid of me to not have done it at the time, I know). I just can't figure out what could be causing the problem. I've got the pedal adjusted properly, it engages and disengages completely...

So I'm confused... does anybody know what's going on?

If you need more info, please let me know.

• Sponsors (?)

Firstly, I would check your tranny to bellhousing bolts aswell as your bellhousing to engine bolts to ensure they are tight. If there is play here when you push on the clutch pedal it could be separating and cause your clutch to be misaligned. Another possible cause could be the bearing retainer. That is the sleeve that your throwout bearing slides back and forth on. Sometimes they develop a grove from constant wear. Another possible cause could be a bent shift fork. HtH.

What you are describing sounds like clutch chatter and it is very common in Mustangs. Due to this problem, only Ford or high quality replacement clutch components (e.g. CenterForce, McLeod, etc.) are recommended. Generally clutch parts from parts stores just do not hold up in Mustangs, I've had experience with them going out in a few thousand miles.
Part of the problem is the kludgy clutch linkage. Make sure all components of the linkage are in perfect alignment. Another problem is getting oil on the clutch plate.
As you are now aware, you should always resurface the flywheel when doing a clutch. If it were me, when I removed the clutch to get the flywheel resurfaced, I would probably replace the pressure plate and clutch disk, even if the current ones are relatively new.