Clutch?????

Hello all I have been popping in here and viewing for awhile now. I have a 92 LX I am putting a 03 Cobra and 6 speed trans in. I plan to make over 700 RWHP. Well my question is what clutch to go with? I still plan on driving the car but most important is the clutch to hold up when I am racing the car. Any help? What clutch should I go with? I don't want to buy a new flywheel either. Thanks for any help you can pass on. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Greymare said:
Hello all I have been popping in here and viewing for awhile now. I have a 92 LX I am putting a 03 Cobra and 6 speed trans in. I plan to make over 700 RWHP. Well my question is what clutch to go with? I still plan on driving the car but most important is the clutch to hold up when I am racing the car. Any help? What clutch should I go with? I don't want to buy a new flywheel either. Thanks for any help you can pass on. :shrug:
Good question and one that other Terminator owners have been discussing for a while now. Seems there's a shortage of high HP clutches for our motor/tranny setup that will withstand the test of time. First problem is the imput shaft on the T-56, it's only a 10-spline. You need to get with D&D or Liberty and get a 26-spline replacement input shaft installed first. The stock 10-spline won't last long at that power level. Speaking of that power level...what combo are you planning on using to hit 700HP? KB + spray?

Head on over to modular Fords and do a search in their Terminator section on clutches. There are multiple discussions going on concerning what works and what doesn't.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=17

U.M.

Greymare said:
The Mcleod kevlar twin disk is best Ive delt with, but you will have to trim the input shaft collar on the tranny about 3/8", so that it doesnt hang up on the second disk...The complete package comes with either a billet steel or aluminum FW which you have to purchase...youll be looking at $1000, but it will be the last clutch youll buy....DA snake boy!!!!

duane v said:
The Mcleod kevlar twin disk is best Ive delt with, but you will have to trim the input shaft collar on the tranny about 3/8", so that it doesnt hang up on the second disk...The complete package comes with either a billet steel or aluminum FW which you have to purchase...youll be looking at $1000, but it will be the last clutch youll buy....DA snake boy!!!!
Is the Mcleod twin disk made for the 10 or 26 spline input shaft?

U.M.

HELP! How would I know if an aftermarket clutch was installed (not stock). I sometimes get a squeeking noise at idle with the clutch disengaged (noise is consistent with rpm's). I had a similar noise on my 95 and I always thought it was the throwout bearing. The clutch pedal also shakes sometimes (on its own). I also get a burnt smell when I run the car kinda hard (not slipping the clutch though). It also chatters a little bit at idle. But the clutch grabs early (which I like) and it seems to run good. I kinda feel like I am answering my own question here, but I would like another opinion or a different opinion for that matter. Please help I hope I did not buy a lemon.

DoHcHoLlIdAy01 said:
HELP! How would I know if an aftermarket clutch was installed (not stock). I sometimes get a squeeking noise at idle with the clutch disengaged (noise is consistent with rpm's). I had a similar noise on my 95 and I always thought it was the throwout bearing. The clutch pedal also shakes sometimes (on its own). I also get a burnt smell when I run the car kinda hard (not slipping the clutch though). It also chatters a little bit at idle. But the clutch grabs early (which I like) and it seems to run good. I kinda feel like I am answering my own question here, but I would like another opinion or a different opinion for that matter. Please help I hope I did not buy a lemon.

Yep, that you pry have a stock clutch and TOB that are going.. Time to set up and get something new..

As for the new clutch ?... The new DFX clutch is supposed to hold 1000 TQ, and that's where you get slip, not HP.. I'm gonna try it here shortly and it is also 26 spline..

DoHcHoLlIdAy01 said:

Be carefull if your car is out of gear and the noise goes away when you depress the clutch it could be a input shaft bearing I found this out the expensive way :damnit: