Coatings for floorboards

LX Dave

5 Year Member
Jul 2, 2017
A little back story here first. Right now I'm going through my '87 and when I pulled the windshield, I discovered it was leaking. When I pulled back the factory floor lining, discovered some rust and had to fix that. Now that the factory lining is off, what do I replace it with? I would rather not have bare, painted metal under the carpeting. I was thinking of something like a bed liner or similar. Really don't want to use a Dynamat product, mainly because of the price. What's everybody using and how does it work?

If it matters, I have new carpeting from CJ Pony with the thick rubber backing.

Thanks
Dave

• Sponsors (?)

POR 15 paint. Only way to go to prevent rust from ever coming back. You can get it in a little pint or quart (cant remember which). Its under $20. Just scuff up the metal with something rough, as it likes texture to adhere to more than a smooth surface.

Reactions: 1 user
And this is the reason I asked here. I never even thought about Por 15. Thanks. Paint shop down the road stocks it.

What can I use on areas that are not rusted and have paint on them yet?

And this is the reason I asked here. I never even thought about Por 15. Thanks. Paint shop down the road stocks it.

What can I use on areas that are not rusted and have paint on them yet?
Rough them up and coat them in POR 15 as well. There is no reason not to while you are there and have it. A small can goes a long way.

There are lots of sound deadening replacements out there, dynamat is about the most expensive. Here's Boomat for sale on LMR
https://lmr.com/item/DEI-050222/dei-boom-mat-xl-4mm-5-sheets-050222

Lizardskin is a spray on coating (almost like a bed liner). It's really no cheaper than dynamat since you'll need the equipment to spray it as well, but it's really good stuff. I will probably use that on my own car after I replace the floor and weld in the sfc's.

Use the POR15 to seal up the rust. It will also help seal the rest of the area where rust might get a foothold on too.

I did my whole floor pan in POR 15 after having to replace the section behind the driver seat, then I used peel-&-Seal from Lowes/Home Depot for sound deadening on top of that before putting the carpet back in. It's like dynamat but thinner and way cheaper but obviously doesn't work quiet as well, although it's a hell of a lot better than not having it on there. You can find it back by the roofing materials in either of those stores. I think I used 2-3 rolls of it for the entire floor pan and trunk.

Another positive vote for POR15. I put it down on my 90LX and then some Dynamat and knock off from Amazon on top of it. Really helped the road noise (like it really mattered). POR15 works great and the others are right: a little goes a long way.

CrazyPete had an Idea for rust proofing...

If I am thinking of the same thread as you, nope, nope, nope.

Sounds like por15 is the way to go on the whole thing. I'll probably just grab a quart of it and do the whole floor. If there's extra, I got plenty of rusty junk to use it on.

Thanks guys!!