cobra brake conversion

ironhead498

Dec 6, 2008
I have an 89gt with stock brakes. My friend totaled out his 96 cobra and I have complete access to the car. My question is what all do I need to take off the cobra besides the front and rear brake assembelys to make the convesion, and also what eles do I need from the after market to make it all work? I know the 96-98 cars have a 3/4 inch wider axle. Do I need to go with that width axle or the one for the 87-93? As far as the brake booster goes do I need one from a 94-95 cobra or can I reuse the one that is already in the car? I also had read that you need to change the plug in the end of the fixed proportioning valve and use and aftermarket proportioniong valve, but haven't been able to find where to get that plug. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

You need the spindles.

You should also get the flexible brake lines to the spindles.

You will need taller or larger diameter wheels with the correct backspacing to accomodate the calipers.

I'm not using OE master cylinders or valves. I have the dual cylinder Tilton setup so I can't help you with the OE information.

You may want to research the need for a bump-steer kit.
I already have one and plan to use it regardless.

I already took the spindles and all the brake hoses from the cobra. I also took the wheels (two of them are seriously messed up) to roll it around on till I get the wheels I want. Do you know what the length of the axles you used where? I have to buy new axles (31 spline) so I can't use the cobra axles to mock it all up. Did you install a kit or piece one together your self? The Tilton setup doesn't require a different proportioning valve? Thanks for the reply.

Be sure to get his spare tire. :D

Most use a 94-95 or '93 Cobra booster with a 94-95 MC (1-1/16); I hear that the 93' Cobra MC (1") is even better for a fox. The plug can be found a Summit Racing; then use an adjustable prop valve.

If you need 31 spline axles you can buy 31 spline fox length axles and get the North Racecars brackets to keep the rear fox correct. You may need to get or make a 1/8(?) ring spacer to put inbetween the axle hub and rotor to keep it hub centric. The fox drum brake hub is smaller than the SN95 disk brake hub.

Do you know what the length of the axles you used where?
My rear is shortened 2" both sides, so my lengths are not yours.

Did you install a kit or piece one together your self?
I put mine together like you're doing. It's much easier on the pocket.

The Tilton setup doesn't require a different proportioning valve?
I use manual brake cylinders which have a "balance" bar. The bar connects to the cylinders via the brake pedal to proporsion the pressure front and back.
This is so I don't rely on engine vacuum for my brakes nor my steering.
The reason for this is it unties the hands of my camshaft maker when designing the valve events.

My rear is shortened 2" both sides, so my lengths are not yours.

I use manual brake cylinders which have a "balance" bar. The bar connects to the cylinders via the brake pedal to proporsion the pressure front and back.
This is so I don't rely on engine vacuum for my brakes nor my steering.
The reason for this is it unties the hands of my camshaft maker when designing the valve events.

I think I'm going to stick with the vacum bootster for now.
I also took the 28 spline diff out of the cobra just for mock up so I can see what will work.

Thanks for the info.

sorry to jump on your thread..but I am doing the same swap on my 91' but using a 99' Cobra for parts...hope it's all the same cause I used most of this info!

But, what about the dust shields, hubs?

sorry to jump on your thread..but I am doing the same swap on my 91' but using a 99' Cobra for parts...hope it's all the same cause I used most of this info!

But, what about the dust shields, hubs?
You should be gold with the dust shields. I've heard some have had to do some slight grinding and bending to clear the brake line and rod ends.
I don't know for sure because mine are modified for cooling ducts.

I would think using the hubs is a good thing???
In my case, it allows a 5 lug standard pattern for big racing wheels.
If you have > 1000.00 in wheels, you probably don't want to upgrade to 5 lug:shrug:

But, what about the dust shields, hubs?[/QUOTE]

I've read that if its just a weekend or nice weather car the dust shields are not necessary, but if its a daily driver that would see rain or such that you should use them.

I havn't decided if I'm going to use them or not.