Cobra Brakes, Front/Rear, Bench Bleed...good times

smokediver27

Jun 16, 2003
Florida
Thanks to Stangnet, I was able to stumble my way through the install of the Cobra front and rear brakes. I picked up the set from stangsuspension.com I also put speedbleeders on the new calipers, and purchased a set of chrome cobra rims, with kuhmo tires. 275 rears, 245 fronts. Anyways, heres a summary of the install..

Day 1. Removed the tires, and it suddenly dawned on me that the rear brackets were not a simple take on/off. After doing a little research, I find out the good news that the rear axles have to be taken out to put the new brakets on. After making a mess draining the differential, and about 30 minutes of trying to get the axle clips out with ABS sensors still in, I finally had the axles out. PB blaster is a must to get the braket bolts out, and it really aids in getting the sensor out without breaking it. Everything went back together pretty easily, but I did not have any gear oil for the rear, so that would have to wait. I found that putting a little PB blaster around the hole the emergency brake cable went through made things a little easier too. The fronts went on fairly easy, it took me a few minutes to figure out how the new brake lines went on, but it came to me. HOWEVER, DO NOT DO WHAT I DID. AFTER READING PEOPLE ON HERE SAYING DO NOT LET THE MASTER CYLINDER RUN DRY, MY DUMB A$$ LET IT RUN DRY. After trying to bleed the brakes numerous times, I gave up for the night. Ran into town and picked up some gear oil and friction modifier, and a new gasket for the rear.

Day 2
Being the hard head I am, I tried bleeding the MC in the car. Didnt work. I took it out and performed the bench bleed. What worked well for me, they sell a one man brake bleed kit at autozone for 6.99, and it essentially allows you to connect a hose to each of the MC outlets, that drain into a small bottle. Bench bleed was quick, simple, and it works. Dont hesitate to do it.
Put the MC back in, bled the system, and what do you know. Brakes work. Used the synthetic brake fluid as well. Pedal feels great. After a lot of gasket scraping, I put the rear end back together and filled her up. (Just a quick side not, DO NOT over torque the cover bolts, whoever owned the car before me broke a few off, and jb welded the heads back in place before he sold it. Drilling them out was a beatch. ) Mounted the new rims and tires, took her for a ride, and I'm in love. Obviously I can't get on the brakes to hard yet, but I like the feel. My old rotors were warped, so I was getting the steering wheel shake and everything prior to the install. They LOOK GOOD too.

Anyways, just thought I'd share my experience. I'm still a sucky mechanic, but getting better one project at a time. I'll post pics next week hopefully, car is going in for paint this week.

• Sponsors (?)

Congrats on the install. The Cobra brake upgrade is in my future, also from stangsuspension, but now they are on backorder. I learned from lots of searching on the forums that the axles would have to come out. I have 53k on the clock so it's a little early but better early than late to change the fluid.