Cobra bumper for 1999 SVT

Hello,
Just purchased a 1999 Ford Cobra SVT. This is a step up from the '95 GT I owned previously. I have been doing a lot of reading in this forum and elsewhere on the internet, but I am not real sure what my first move should be performance wise. Maybe I should just leave it alone and drive it for a little while, haha. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on where I could get the best price on an '03-'04 rear bumper that reads "COBRA." Mine obviously reads "MUSTANG", and I definately think that the '03 style bumper would be a big improvement, cosmetically. I have found a few on ebay for around $360 shipped, that seems a little pricey. Also, any other "mechanical musts" for the car would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

Check to see if the car has had 'the fix'. Since you researched a bit, you should be familiar with the 99's problems, and what to look for.

From what i've been reading, is do a gear swap. Most recommend the 4.10's, as these motors like to rev :D

Gears gears gears

I second Shadowfist. Check out the newer posts in SVT Tech for details on 99 performance recalls. Once you know your Cobra is putting down the power it should, get gears!!!! 4.10 if you plan to blow it down the road, 4.30 if you want to keep it N/A. If gas mileage is a concern, you could go with 3.73 gears, but then why bother buying a Cobra if you cringe at the pump!

An upgraded intake and x-pipe would net a few more ponies without killing the wallet. Also, a custom tune (SCT or Diablo) will help, and would be required when you do the gears to readjust your speedo. As for the bumper, I plan to do the same when I have mine repainted. I will order mine through the body shop or Ford dealer to ensure it is an OEM part. These parts may cost more, but the last thing you want is some 1/2 a$$ed part that doen't line up right or fits like crap. It's a Cobra, not a Corolla, so spend the extra couple of dollars and do it right. You will be glad you did.