Cobra Fog Light Bulb (replacement)

tx65coupe

Nov 29, 1999
Hey Everyone,

I'm usually in the classic forum. My Dad has a 1997 Cobra. He doesn't see so well in the dark. I upgraded his headlights to GE Nighthawks. They seem to put out more light on the road. I would like to put better bulbs in the fog lights as well, but neither the Nighthawk or the XtraVision from Sylvania are available in 899. The Nighthawk is available in 893.

Anyway, my question is this. What is the difference between 893 and 899 halogen bulbs? They look like they are nearly the same thing. From what I have seen, the wattage is the same also. Will it hurt anything to run the 893 in place of the 899? Is the 899 better for some reason?

I have done much research on lighting and don't want to run any of the tinted bulbs or increased wattage bulbs. I'm running Xtravision bulbs in my F150 right now. I like them better than the SilverStars I had before. The SSTs look kinda cool but don't make much light in my opinion. They are just whiter but not as bright.

Is it difficult to replace the fog light bulbs on the Cobra? Any tips?

• Sponsors (?)

swap fogs for spots

I realise this is quite an old thread, but I am sure it is still a current issue for most mustang owners. I have a 96 Cobra here in the UK and in a nutshell the headlights are complete boll**ks.

I carried out an HID conversion, but the stock headlights didn't do much with the light even after polishing the lenses. I then bought a set of aftermarket headlights from the States, "crystal cut" clear lense, these just spread the light everywhere but where I wanted it.

So in a final effort to find some improvement before a roadtrip through france to Spain I bought a cheap set of spotlights off fleabay. I removed the fogs and replaced them (using the same mounting bracket) with H3 55w spot lights. Aimed them in such away that they extend my line of vision without blinding oncoming traffic. The lights cost my about $20.00 (they really were cheap, but this was experimental) and took about an hour to adapt.

No outward visible changes other than the clear lenses, and using the same wreing means that I use the same switch on the armrest. Hope this is of some help to someone.

Retrofitted HID is illegal here, so I'm pretty sure its illegal there too. The headlight assembly is designed for the halogen bulb. The HID bulb is positioned differently inside and creates excessive glare to oncomming vehicles.

I have had experience with those cheap lights before and they usually don't hold up of last long. The factory fog lights on ours work fine. I adjusted them a little.

I have new replacement clear cobra headlights on ours and the headlights work ok. I have GE Nighthawk bulbs in them. The clear Nighthawks work pretty good. I do not have the blue tinted Nighthawk sport.