Cobra GT40 heads, any good? what kinda hp?

• Sponsors (?)

they aren't that great. I was thinking about getting a set then i did a little reserch. For the horse power that your going to get out of them, it isn't worth the cost. Your most likely not going to be impressed with them and want to get somthing better. So i say save your tuckets and get a good set of twisted wedge, afr's, or something just as good and do the job once.

just my two cents.

They are not as good as the newer gt40p iron heads but ..................

IMHO, I don't think they are as far behind the newer heads as most peeps seem to think.

I would not put much money in any of the OEM Ford iron heads.

Grady

You guys are nuts. GT-40's for $100? Hell yeah that's worthwhile for $100! Just buy them, get them checked for flatness, magnafluxed, valve job and redo the exhuast valve guides. IF you have some patience, port them. After all that you are looking at some good heads for cheap as hell.

It's kind of annoying to hear people say, don't get decent heads for $100, get the best for twelve times the cost! But that's coming from me since I'm working on H/C/I for under $1000.

Remember the trick is going to be your cam.

I agree with John. It all depends on budget/goals. If I can afford AFR 185's & swear by them .... and recommend them .... I'm still not gonna try to talk someone out of a deal that they may need/want to make.

Just do some research on the heads. Consider your goal. Consider your budget. Make or don't make the deal. Even if you ultimately decide not to go with these heads, and they're in good shape, you might can buy them for $100 anyways, then sell them for a little more to gain some budget to work with.

Like Grady said, I wouldn't put alot of $$ into a Ford OEM head, but the thing is .... you don't always have to .... to get what you're looking for.

I ran a 13.5@102 with a 2.2-2.4 (bad, real bad for me) 60ft on street tires. with bone stock 95 cobra heads, ported stock lower, and tfs1 cam, 3.73's, K&N, 14*, pullies. Not too bad.

You should be able to get about 35hp or so from bolting them on over the stock heads. A good cam and a matched intake you should be able to run low 13's maybe high high 12.9 with some weight loss and good driving/tune and tires.

blksn955.o said:
I ran a 13.5@102 with a 2.2-2.4 (bad, real bad for me) 60ft on street tires. with bone stock 95 cobra heads, ported stock lower, and tfs1 cam, 3.73's, K&N, 14*, pullies. Not too bad.

You should be able to get about 35hp or so from bolting them on over the stock heads. A good cam and a matched intake you should be able to run low 13's maybe high high 12.9 with some weight loss and good driving/tune and tires.

hehe never heard of 12s all motor with gt40s in a sn95....heh need some slicks probably on a maxxed out setup,hehe

Get'm for $100. Then about $250 for a valve job. That's about 1/3 the cost of AFR's, but they won't make as much HP either. They should be good for 20HP where AFR's are good for about 40HP. Your mods don't show an intake. Either get an 94/95 cobra intake, Explorer, or aftermarket intake to see more gains. The stock lower sucks, if you are strapped for cash, have TMoss port your lower. Also, 1.7 roller rockers will help the stock cam.

I'm building an engine for my 94 Vert with P's & Explorer intake. I'm on a serious budget and the difference in cost is significant. All the stuff I've seen shows GT40's making about 5-8HP less than P's. I think that some of that is that GT40's have a larger chamber that lowers the compression a little.

hehe never heard of 12s all motor with gt40s in a sn95....heh need some slicks probably on a maxxed out setup,hehe

Read the FAQ sticky and check out the users' combos. If you are going on a tight budget, GT-40's are the way to go, hands down. If you have plenty of cash and want the best you can get, then sure, get AFR's or something.

They will still be an iron head.

However, food for though Thumper does know his way around the gt40 heads too. He said they should be 230+ in flow and that is def. in the range/getting real close to what 165's flow. Now the runner shape, chamber shape and all that are more than likely (hell yes they are better) better on the alum. heads. but send them to thumper for a vavle job/port work/mill/clean-up and I would est. the price at about $650-700 in the heads total. Not too bad at all, not too bad at all.

I finaly have my mech. issues taken care of and plan on going to the track to FINALY get some numbers on this rig. real soooooon.