Cobra Instrument Cluster Not Working

sbc44

Mar 27, 2006
Thomasville, GA
I just bought an instrument cluster out of a '98 Cobra, and the gas gauge and engine temp gauges are not working. From what i read about it, this is supposed to be a simple swap and everything should work right, so it shouldn't be a problem with sending units or temp sensors not being compatible, should it?

The thing that sucks the most is that when i bought the car about 3 months ago, the odometer didn't work. That was ok, i figured i would just pick up another cluster off eBay. Well the one i bought had a f'd up oil pressure gauge, not to mention it was a v6 120mph speedo b/c i didn't know there was a difference at the time. So this cobra cluster deal rolls around and now i'm stuck with yet another broken cluster. I'm to the point now where i am getting ready to just buy a new one from the dealership so i can be sure the damn thing works!

Is there a way to fix the engine temp gauge and the fuel gauge, or am I screwed over for the 3rd time?

• Sponsors (?)

Enter Username said:
There are two circuit board type things plugged into the back of the cluster. Take the ones out of your original cluster and stick them in the new one.

i forgot to mention, i did do that and tried them all in different combinations and it still didn't work.

any other suggestions?

Enter Username said:
I put a 96-98 Cobra cluster in my 96 gt and everything works fine. All I did was use my original boards.

Where'd you buy it from? Did it work prior to being in your car?

I bought it from a guy online. The guy was really friendly, and he will tell me it was working right when he sold it to me, whether its true or not.