Cobra IRS info.

dmontzsta

Founding Member
Aug 6, 2001
SoCal
I was wondering how the IRS holds up against the Stangs with beams? Is there alot available to upgrade the IRS and make it handle great? or is there more available for the beams to make them handle better? I know the setup on the new 05+ GTs is pretty good. I am just wondering cause I am contemplating picking up a 99 Cobra, but was wondering how the suspension does against the rest.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Uncle Meat said:
The IRS design is inherently better for handling the curves than a straight axle simply by design when both are in stock trim. You can however modify a straight axle to perform very well on the curves too!

What exactly are you looking to do?

U.M.

I am looking for the best all around driver. I do not hit the 1/4 track too often, maybe once a year. I mostly just have fun with my daily drivers.:)

Uncle Meat said:
Hmmm.... So I guess the question is: With all things equal which car handles better, a '99 Cobra or an '05 GT. :shrug:

U.M.

Sort of, I guess it would be all things being equal which car handles better, a 99 Cobra or all other live axles, including the 05+.

dmontzsta said:
Sort of, I guess it would be all things being equal which car handles better, a 99 Cobra or all other live axles, including the 05+.
There was a MAJOR change in the design of the rear end on the S197 platform compared to the SN95's. I'm sure I can safely say that the '99 Cobra will handle better than any of the stock GT's through the 2004 model year. Whether it's better than the new design which came out as part of the '05 model.... :shrug:

U.M.

U.M. has made most of the points that need to be made.

Some other things to consider:

The IRS will ride better at any given level of stiffness.

The IRS will handle better on rough pavement.

The S197 chassis is much stiffer, suspension pick-up points are better, slightly unrelated, but interior ergonomics are much better.

I haven't had the opportunity to track an S197 car, but have driven one on the street. Overall I think it makes a better place to start. Given all that, a 99 Cobra will be less expensive than a late model GT and there are some packages that will push the handling to pretty impressive levels, for what it is. You need to remember that in terms of handling, the SN95 Cobras are essentially a pretty good effort at making a silk purse out of sow's ear.

midlifecrisis99cobra said:
U.M. has made most of the points that need to be made.

Some other things to consider:

The IRS will ride better at any given level of stiffness.

The IRS will handle better on rough pavement.

The S197 chassis is much stiffer, suspension pick-up points are better, slightly unrelated, but interior ergonomics are much better.

I haven't had the opportunity to track an S197 car, but have driven one on the street. Overall I think it makes a better place to start. Given all that, a 99 Cobra will be less expensive than a late model GT and there are some packages that will push the handling to pretty impressive levels, for what it is. You need to remember that in terms of handling, the SN95 Cobras are essentially a pretty good effort at making a silk purse out of sow's ear.

I have driven both the S197 and my '03 Cobra on a track and could not agree with you more.

I did find the S197 too soft, but well mannored. How an S197 will be with a stiffer set up I don't know. You sure could feel that the body was stiffer on the S197, but I think the IRS on my car is better. If only they would put the IRS on the S197.

Comparing a S197 to a SN95 is like comparing apples to oranges... They are just too different.

dmontzsta said:
I was wondering how the IRS holds up against the Stangs with beams? Is there alot available to upgrade the IRS and make it handle great? or is there more available for the beams to make them handle better? I know the setup on the new 05+ GTs is pretty good. I am just wondering cause I am contemplating picking up a 99 Cobra, but was wondering how the suspension does against the rest.

Thanks.
no matter what an IRS will always be a better ride on the street

i don't know what to say about the S197 rear :rolleyes: , good chassis though