Cobra R's - Which finish looks best

89GT5foHO

Oct 14, 2005
I recently bought an 89 GT.
It's white, lowered about 1.5 inches and has dark tinted windows.

I need to buy wheels because 1 that's on it now is bent.
I can't decide to get either chrome or silver.
They are 17x9 rear and 17x8 fronts.
Which finish would you get and why do you feel this way.
I like both finishes on white foxes and can't decide :bang:

Please help me decide. Thanks :)

• Sponsors (?)

I'm assuming you are going to be getting 4 lug wheels, right? I think something you have to consider also is which brand you will be buying.

With a 9" wheel for the rear you should consider buying a +18mm offset wheel. Verde Custom Wheels makes a good replica. This will save you having to possibly buy a 1/4" wheel spacer to keep from rubbing the tailpipes during hard cornering or with large exhaust.

For an 8" front nothing beats the FRPP wheels. With their +15mm offset (5.15" bs) they mount and tuck perfectly with the front fenders.

The reason I mention this is because it sounds like you're considering the AFS wheels. They make an 8" for the front, but with the +12mm offset (less than accurate) they stick out of the front fenders just a hair, which can give you poor tracking manners on less than stellar roads. Also their 9" +24mm offset rears tend to tuck inside the rear fenders just a tad too much which leads to: tailpipe and possibly quad shock rubbing.

Whatever you decide, it's your money. I'm just trying to tell you what I've heard, what I've experienced and what I've seen.

Good Luck :flag:

Chrome = 4 votes
Silver = 2 votes
White = 2 votes

Thanks for the replies.
I'm leaning towards the chrome myself.
Silver and white looks good, but it's just too plain I think :shrug:
I think all white cars just look a little bit better with chrome on them.

Still not a hundred percent decided :bang:
Does anyone want to give me an extra 1200 dollars so I can buy both and then decide in my garage :D

Mavrick said:
Chrome...

Silver R's on white car's just don't cut it.

:bs: They Cobra R would look like crap if they came with chrome wheels.

95cobrar.jpg

Maybe Mob will chime in. He has a white gt with silver cobra R's

blake89stang said:
i dont like the look of chrome wheels on a white car. Just dont seem to go together to me.

dark color=chrome
light color=silver, white, ect.

That's funny, I'm probably the exact opposite.
I tend to take them on a case by case basis though.

Pure black, white and red cars seem to be the only 3 colors that can accept both finishes and still look good. There are colors though that absolutely can not do silver and others that can not do chrome.

... and some colors that should not exist all together on a Mustang = yellow :puke: