cobra swap

nwapache

Jun 27, 2006
Seattle,WA
This may be a stupid question, but how come there aren't any stories about people swapping terminator motors into GT's?
Are they too hard to get ahold of? too expensive? Considering how much power adders cost, and how effin cool the 4v is, it seems like a great way to go.

• Sponsors (?)

streetstang03 said:
i've seen it before :shrug: they're pretty expensive though.

exactly... a guy in my town has a Terminator GT but the dang motor is over $10k alone. then you need to factor in all the modifications that need to be done to install it, plus the actual labor costs, it just gets expensive real quick. You'd be better off buying a built shortblock and some sort of power adder

didn't one guy on here... or maybe it was another forum, pick up a Mach block for under 2k?

There are wrecked body blocks on craigslist all the time, if you can find a low mile engine from a 99ish Cobra or Mach for under 4k shipped it could be worth the money for the swap I think... other wise yeah a new shortblock is the way to go.

After I posted, I started searching around for terminator motors! What a joke, the best deal was 9995$$ for engine and wiring harness, the most was 15000$$ for engine and tranny....I can't believe anyone actually buys them for that kind of money.

Well, there's your answer .... biggest reason COST. $$$$
But, if you can happen on a long block or donor car it would make for an interesting project.

There a few running around the mustang discussion board circuit ..... just not here.

Yeah... I was just at a Cruise in a couple days ago... A guy had done this to his V6... but that was the only Modification to it, I asked him if anything else was planned and he said he was still paying for the engine and tranny....so yeah it is an expensive upgrade!

you can get a 5.4L forged shortblock from VT for like 4k, and slap some stageII 2v heads/cams combo in there for another 2k, and a KB up top and be at a higher level of power than just a standard 03/04 4.6L 4v.

thomas91169 said:
you can get a 5.4L forged shortblock from VT for like 4k, and slap some stageII 2v heads/cams combo in there for another 2k, and a KB up top and be at a higher level of power than just a standard 03/04 4.6L 4v.
from most of the tests i have seen over the years a 5.4 2V isn't much more powerful then a 4.6 2V and the added weight and cost kinda negates any gains. The 04 Cobra engine has alot of potential...i would take that over a 5.4 2V anyday.