Code 6 AIRBAG LIGHT! 90 5.0! CLOCKSPRING? but cruise and horn work

savegoodautonfg

May 11, 2005
To start off its a 1990 5.0 Gt.

Ok next is their any sypntoms of a bad clockspring.. like i don't understand how it could just go from disconnecting the negative terminal. its weird. i'm really tight on money right now and i can barely afford anything so im wondering if theres any symptoms so i could try to troubleshoot before i go buy a new one,

• Sponsors (?)

savegoodautonfg said:
Ok next is their any symptoms of a bad clock spring.. like i don't understand how it could just go from disconnecting the negative terminal.
It's called coincidence. It happens. That's why it's called "coincidence". :)

Like Jaswir said, often the cruise control also does not work.

A Code 6 for a 90 Stang is likely the clockspring. Unless you have to go through inspection, you don't *have* to replace the clockspring. Just realize that you won't have any air bag protection until you replace the clockspring.

I'd recommend against getting one from a junkyard. After this amount of time and mileage, any used clockspring will have a VERY limited life. But, if you're very tight on money, can get one for ~$10 at the junkyard, then it MIGHT be good for a few more years. Or, it might be bad. Or, it might break in 1 week.

BTW: Don't worry about the air bag "accidentally going off". ANY BS that you've heard is from TOTAL MORONS that don't have a CLUE about what they are talking about! I'm a Principal Hardware Engineer with over a dozen years experience and I taught EE/CS/CE for 8 semesters. What "qualifications" do the people that splew BS have?

Hmm, it may not be the clock spring. I sent you a PM so I can tell you how to test for a bad airbag. It's not the type of thing that I want people to "do on their own", so I don't post the info on the forums.

Don't worry, it's very safe and you don't actually do any tests on the air bag itself.

My airbag is fine, I tested it. TOok me long enuff but I tested it

Airbag light has never stopped since it started. blinks 6 times stops 6 times again constantly.

The clockspring must be fine because my horn and cruise control work great.

BTW: Don't worry about the air bag "accidentally going off". ANY BS that you've heard is from TOTAL MORONS that don't have a CLUE about what they are talking about! I'm a Principal Hardware Engineer with over a dozen years experience and I taught EE/CS/CE for 8 semesters. What "qualifications" do the people that splew BS have?

Just a note dude. the FORD service manual says wait 30 minutes before removing the airbag. This allows the system to discharge, and yes if you short something while taking out the airbag it will deploy.

Allen, BSCS

Just a note dude. the FORD service manual says wait 30 minutes before removing the airbag. This allows the system to discharge, and yes if you short something while taking out the airbag it will deploy.

Allen, BSCS

Ha, ha, ha. :D :D

You have a BS in CS? Is that Hardware/ Software/ Computer Engineering?
Care to sight YOUR source. Ha, ha, ha.

I have
1) Ford Air Bag Systems Diagnostic Supplement Manual
2) Ford Service CD
3) Ford Service DVD
4) Ford hardcopy manuals.

For the FORD MUSTANG cars made on PLANET EARTH Air bags systems that have the battery backup (1990 & 1991):
WARNING: ALL COMPONENT REPLACEMENTS AND WIRING SERVICE MUST BE MADE WITH THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE DISCONNECTED FOR A MINIMUM OF 20 MINUTES BEFORE SERVICE OR REPLACEMENT IS ATTEMPTED.

For the FORD MUSTANG cars made on PLANET EARTH Air bags systems that have the capacitor backup (1992-1995+):
WARNING: THE BACK-UP POWER SUPPLY ENERGY MUST BE DEPLETED BEFORE ANY AIR BAG COMPONENT SERVICE IS PERFORMED. TO DEPLETE THE BACK-UP POWER SUPPLY ENERGY, DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE AND WAIT ONE MINUTE TO AVOID ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

Plus, if you short something out,
THE AIR BAG WILL *NOT* DEPLOY!!!!!
Geez! Look at the diagrams! You have a crash sensor and a safety sensor isolating power to the air bag. Also, the air bag connector has a shorting plug on it to help prevent static build-up when it's not connected to an air bag.

You want to be *safe* when taking out an air bag and putting on it. ANY electronic device can fail at ANY time. The air bag diagnostic controller uses very low current and voltage to monitor the air bag. Also, in REAL life people are horrible about taking the proper static precautions. So, having a disconnected battery means that the air bag diagnostic controller wire are at "near ground". So, that means the both of the air bag wires are at "near ground". That add a little extra protection against static. Plus, you don't want to disconnect the air bag with the sense current goingf through it just in case the diagnostic monitor goes bad from a static shock that it would get when you touch the wires.

Joe
BS CS-hardware Engineering (in the engineering department, not in the math department)/EE (Elec Engr) (dual major),
MS CE (Comp Engr)
"3/4ths" ME (Mech Engr)
Partial PhD CE (Comp Engr) (I left for a great job opportunity that I couldn't pass up. :))

Foolish newbie engineers. ;)

Ha, ha, ha. :D :D

You have a BS in CS? Is that Hardware/ Software/ Computer Engineering?
Care to sight YOUR source. Ha, ha, ha.

I have
1) Ford Air Bag Systems Diagnostic Supplement Manual
2) Ford Service CD
3) Ford Service DVD
4) Ford hardcopy manuals.

For the FORD MUSTANG cars made on PLANET EARTH Air bags systems that have the battery backup (1990 & 1991):
WARNING: ALL COMPONENT REPLACEMENTS AND WIRING SERVICE MUST BE MADE WITH THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE DISCONNECTED FOR A MINIMUM OF 20 MINUTES BEFORE SERVICE OR REPLACEMENT IS ATTEMPTED.

For the FORD MUSTANG cars made on PLANET EARTH Air bags systems that have the capacitor backup (1992-1995+):
WARNING: THE BACK-UP POWER SUPPLY ENERGY MUST BE DEPLETED BEFORE ANY AIR BAG COMPONENT SERVICE IS PERFORMED. TO DEPLETE THE BACK-UP POWER SUPPLY ENERGY, DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE AND WAIT ONE MINUTE TO AVOID ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

Plus, if you short something out,
THE AIR BAG WILL *NOT* DEPLOY!!!!!
Geez! Look at the diagrams! You have a crash sensor and a safety sensor isolating power to the air bag. Also, the air bag connector has a shorting plug on it to help prevent static build-up when it's not connected to an air bag.

You want to be *safe* when taking out an air bag and putting on it. ANY electronic device can fail at ANY time. The air bag diagnostic controller uses very low current and voltage to monitor the air bag. Also, in REAL life people are horrible about taking the proper static precautions. So, having a disconnected battery means that the air bag diagnostic controller wire are at "near ground". So, that means the both of the air bag wires are at "near ground". That add a little extra protection against static. Plus, you don't want to disconnect the air bag with the sense current goingf through it just in case the diagnostic monitor goes bad from a static shock that it would get when you touch the wires.

Joe
BS CS-hardware Engineering (in the engineering department, not in the math department)/EE (Elec Engr) (dual major),
MS CE (Comp Engr)
"3/4ths" ME (Mech Engr)
Partial PhD CE (Comp Engr) (I left for a great job opportunity that I couldn't pass up. :))

Foolish newbie engineers. ;)

can you give me so more help please?