Engine Codes 511, 212, And 412. Do I Need An Exorcist Or A Mechanic?

Okay, so I did some debugging and here's what I did.
  1. Disconnected the harness from the ignition module, distributor, and both at the coil.
  2. Checked for continuity to ground on all pins of the ignition module connector.
  3. Seeing ground at the red/green wire, which is labeled "RUN" per the diagram. (see pic 1)
  4. Not seeing ground at the black wire, which is labeled "IGN GND" per the diagram. Maybe my problem?
  5. Checked continuity from the IGM SPOUT pin to the EEC SPOUT pin. We're good there.
On step 3, I'm pretty sure I'm getting continuity to ground due to the radio interference capacitor (see pic 2). Am I right? Is the black wire supposed to go to ground? I figured it would, but no beep from the Fluke.

Pic 1:
IMG_9904.JPG

Pic 2:
FullSizeRender 5.jpg

Here's a diagram of the ignition module circuit I was using. Is it even correct?
TFI_ignition_system.gif

• Sponsors (?)

Brand new here and noticed you folks talking electrical and I'm needing some serious help with the electrical on an 03 gt. Can you folks help guide me in the right direction?

Brand new here and noticed you folks talking electrical and I'm needing some serious help with the electrical on an 03 gt. Can you folks help guide me in the right direction?

Go to the 96-2004 sn95 tech forums and post your symptoms there and those people with same model stangs will be glad to help ya,
And welcome to stangnet

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I did a little digging and it looks like that cap on the side of the coil is the RFI cap. I'm 99% sure I shouldn't see ground on that red/green wire with it disconnected, but before I start digging wires out of harnesses can someone verify that for me? Also should I see ground on that black wire?

I got it! Well, almost!
  1. Tested for ground at fuse 18 under the dash. Totally got continuity.
  2. Unplugged the large breakout connector on the passenger side. No longer getting ground at the ICM, coil, distributor, or RFI cap.
  3. Unplugged the connector near the EEC that has the red/green wire in it. No longer getting ground at the fuse block.
  4. Checked for ground along the common wire between the breakout connector and the connector near the EEC. There it is!
I have to assume that some stretch of wire there rubbed itself raw and it touching metal. Now I just have to find it! But first, it's pizza time.

Okay, getting even closer, but I need some help. Where does this connector go? I unhooked it, and ground follows it up into the abyss. Am I looking at removing the fender?

IMG_9950.JPG
IMG_9951.JPG

That's behind the glove box, against the passenger side of the car.

Last edited:
You could pull the wheel and the inner panel out rather than the fender, found one pic of that area but no wiring to anything in there just the purge canister, look like harness came in, split in two then back out. Sorry not much help.

Charcoal canister that is hooked to fuel tank throught manifold vacuum, not sure about location on a 94-5 model fox cars are on the passenger side under air box with vacuum hose hooked to a port in the front of upper manifold behind distributor.

Holy crap! Okay, so I just took another stab at it after finding more harnesses. I can actually trace ground back to my fuse block! If I pull fuse 18, which feeds the ignition, I get continuity to ground at the hot side of the fuse. Here's where it gets weird, if I KOEO I get 12v there. Maybe I'm too old school, but shouldn't ignition either be no volts or volts, not ground or volts? Is my ignition switch busted?