Coil on plug problem Need advice

Jkstang78

Founding Member
Oct 14, 2002
long island N.Y.
My G/f has a 2003 mustang gt. One of her coil on plugs caught on fire. I have not been able to go to her house, Since I work nights and she work days.

But from what she tells me is the the Coil on plug caught fire and melted the connector. She got a new connector and and put it on. But now the problem is that when she turns the ignition on, the coil pack get's hot. When she started the car it cracked the new coil plug pack also.

So has anyone else had a problem like this. Or know what might be the problem.

Thanks Jason

• Sponsors (?)

Did you check the spark plug? If the coil is heating up (ill assume its a new coil) then its more then likely the tip of the plug is touching the tipand grounding out. :shrug:

Sorry about that she did change the coil to a different on. I don't know if she had check the spark plug on it. she had a set of aftermarket ones. I want to say accel ones not 100% sure on the brand but as soon as she put it on and turn the car on it would crack the bottom of the coil instantly. o it sem like there is a short somewhere.

On the harness does anyone know if there is a fuseable link that might have gone.

i'm currently working on a 2000 mustang gt and it started skipping. i changed the plugs, no help. engine code says number one misfire. changed coil, worked fine. for about 30 miles, then the thing caught on fire. i replaced the coil again, same problem, caught on fire. turns out the fuel rail right over the coil has a bracket that is spot welded in place. two welds broke allowing the bracket to hit the top of the coil and cracking it, causing an internal short resulting in the fire. this is only possible on number one and eight(the other two brackets have plenty of clearance). the way to test is to install coil and make sure you have about 20 thousandths clearance between coil and fuel rail(those of you without feeler gauges can use the equivalent of the thickness of a match book cover). i actually seen the difference with my own eyes, but the clincher was seeing the top of the coil was cracked. hope this helps because i have changed almost 100 of those things in the past 10 years and i have never seen this happen before. i bet you i'll never forget it, i also made a note in the service manual, good luck.