Coil over spring rates

TOOLOW91

If you're the village idiot what's that make me?
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
S.I.NY
Looking at coil over kits for
my notch - full weight will rarely see track use more of a street car what size and rate should I run for a street car.

• Sponsors (?)

12inch spring allows us to get the coupe lower to the ground.

14" springs are also known to bind up on coil over conversions. i run a 14 on my LX since im not running a conversion its a threaded body QA1. ive never noticed it rubbing with this. a longer softer spring also allows the spring to store more energy to help carry the front end up. we dont need to worry about this in the coupe since we keep the front pretty well strapped down

thank you very much srt, any recommendations on who to use qa1 ?

Some of the more popular k-member kits include coilover sleeves, and the sleeves (coilover conversion kits) are available separately as well.

I also like the QA1 DA coilovers, Chassisworks QuickSet 2 coilovers, and Strange Engineering DA coilovers.

depends what you want to do with the car... if your going to be throwing it into turns trying to pull 47 G's or something like that your better off talking with bilstine or someone like that.

if your looking for a street car id still talk to them

if you setting it up with a drag type set up QA1 afco strange stanthuff would be who i would suggest

On our full weight 93 Cobra, that also has a Vortech on it we use a 14" 225 pound spring, entire UPR kit up front. We actually crushed a set of QA1 150lb srpings, and were using their QA1 struts at the time.

Street car, full weight 175lb spring rate gets my vote...

If you need good adj struts/shocks I have a smokin deal going on with KONI right now and can get you a great deal.

I will be running 12" 275lb springs in the front and 8" 475lb springs in the rear. Tokico D-spec front struts and Bilstein shocks in the rear. MM coil over kit on all 4. This was recommended by MM as a good combination for nice handling, yet a good street ride. I have an IRS in the rear, hence the short springs in the back.

Just checked last spring we put in the cobra up front was 12" 225lb...rides nice but we do have revalved Nakke QA1 struts, stock Cobra springs in rear with HAL full adjustables.