Coilover/Kmember question

N8Miller

I need NOS....make it 2 of the big ones
Founding Member
Jul 26, 2000
Kingston, PA, USA
i have been looking into the K member/coilover conversion kits that most companies sell. but i have a few questions:
1) do i have to use struts? can i get lakewood 70/30s and pair them with a nice coil rate or do i just use the coils? do i have to use their struts (qa1s or another company?)
2)how much weight do they save?
3) are they worth it?
4) they say that the coils are easy to change--- like i can change them easily for the track, drive it home, then swap out my track springs for my around town springs.....is this true?

anything that you can tell me pertaining to this is going to be a big help
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I just got the MM coilovers for the front, and adj. drag struts. Installation was easy, but the cost is high. I cant really say if it was worth it or not, its a matter of how much full adjustability of ride height and dampening are worth to you. I got them because I was afraid of going to a conventional setup and not being happy with it. Now I can adjust it to suit me.

You will have to contact specific manufacturers to find out what struts their kits will work with. MM told me that most companies use a piece of threaded pipe that doesnt fit real tight on the strut for a spring perch collar. MM machines the collar from billet alum. It does fit real tight on the strut, but I have no direct experience with QA1 or other kits that are much cheaper than MM.

Yes, you have to use struts. I think you can save about 30lbs doing the entire front end. Most companies coil over kits like the MM, UPR will fit any standard strut like a lakewood or tokico. Bilsteins need a different kit because they are larger. Also, the QA1 requires the use of their kit to work.

well, i dont have the $ to do the fully coil over/k member setup that QA1 has for $1000+. so, whats a good set of coilovers to get and do they come with struts? like if get a set of grantellis or something affordable on a college kid budget with a 11 second mindframe.

All I have to say on the subject is be very careful and shop around. I've seen posts where tubular K-member welds have broken, CC plates failed, control arm welds breaking, with disasterous results to car and/or driver. If you do coil-overs, which I do recommend, then again, as someone above noted, quality is a very big concern. Whether you are a drag racer, road racer, or just someone who wants an edge on the street, you have to be concerned about quality and safety...even if it costs a few hundred more.

My suggestion is to spend a few bucks and call around to some of the Mustang shops around the country and ask them their thoughts on which K-member/coil-over/control arm set-ups are of good quality and fit well with your year of Mustang. They install and service them regularly and would know better than anyone. All you'd need to do is go through a MM&FF or 5.0 Mustang and get some phone numbers.

Just me...

I didnt pick PA Racing solely because they were the cheapest. Id agree with you on calling the Mustang shops, but they may be a bit biased. If the company only carries, for example D&D, they are going to push for you to buy that k member. Here on the forums, you get people that have the specific name. Soem of the best came out to be AJE, PA racing and of course Giggs and MM. On carner carvers, i remember where somebody broke a weld on on one of the Griggs k memebers, so nothing is invincible.

I know you werent singling me out or anything. And i dont expect him to use some MAC CC plates with coil overs or anything of the sort.

I just want to know how many people out there have aftermarket tubluar K members, because it sure seems that it is not an important mod that mustang drivers put on their car. On the other hand I think suspension is one of the biggest aspects of the car and with out it we would not be turning period.

Just giving you guys my 2 cents because i am in the same boat and want to get advice from people who HAVE aftermarket suspension on their cars. I am going to write MM and FF and see if they will do an article on tubular Kmembers, Aarms and coilover set ups.

Best of luck to everyone

The tubular k member is probably one of the last parts done. If your looking to save weight then its a huge plus. Once you have a serious suspension, like a torque arm, the lightened front end does wonders.

Another thing to take into consideration is that not all tubular k's actually give you more header clearance. I know that AJE gives you about 2" or extra clearance as opposed to the stocker and some of the aftermarket pieces. Thats just my opinon on why its not one of the first things done.

I installed a PA k member in my '86 hatch. Gorgeous part. Fit with no trouble, no modifications. can use stock springs and a arms if you are not able to afford the tubular and coil over parts. Check out vernonhouse on eBay. He makes these suspension bits and they are very reasonable. I paid $235 for it, powdercoated black and shipped to my doorstep. The quality is incredible, people are really nice if you call them. Here's their contact info: [email protected] 1-877-782-6470
Good luck with your search.

"I just want to know how many people out there have aftermarket tubluar K members, because it sure seems that it is not an important mod that mustang drivers put on their car. On the other hand I think suspension is one of the biggest aspects of the car and with out it we would not be turning period."...Stalone93GT

In reality, it's probably only the serious performance enthusiasts. It IS an important mod, but not something that comes to mind with most "bolt-on" enthusiasts...which probably is the majority of people who own Mustangs because it is hardly something a beginner can even think about doing. Not many like the idea of paying someone to replace a complete front K-member and suspension. Besides, alot of folks like to brag about power numbers or ETs and is where the majority of their money goes.

My 2 cents.....

I just got a K-Member and A-Arm kit from PAracing and I'm real happy with it so far. I've gotten the K-Mem and arms mounted up and the less weight and increased header room (2" headers) is impressive!! For the coilover kit I went with one of X2C Motorsports 175# kits, it also appears to be a decent product.
The above # 877-782-6470 is incorrect for PAracing. That # is for Vern's new shop Pro Fabrication. Jason Smith owns/operates PAracing and he can be reached at 812-524-7177. Jason is a straight shooter to deal with and he has a wealth of knowledge that you can tap into if need be. Hope this helps.

Tater