Cold air intakes

k4z3

Nov 29, 2004
Id like to know if a cold air intake is really worth the money, a friend of mine is telling me that i should bypass the cai save up to go striaght to a supercharger. Im sry but i just wanted some opion on this and if i should invest in a cai. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You do know that a CAI is far less then $200 but a sc will most likely cost you $3,000+.

As far as it being worth it. Well, you won't feel like you're driving a GT, but it does add some power. Numberwise, less than 10 hp. However, a CAI and underdrive pulley, and true dual exhaust should give you a somewhat noticeable gain.

as far as intake goes, if i hadent got myself an Ebay CAI a while ago i would look into doing this: Ram Air
It says it fits the 96-04 GT... although i dont know the difference in the air intake of the GT and the V6... i would buy something like this and make it fit!

I've got one from MAC on my GT. Seems like it picked up some HP. I've heard of JLT CAI is good, so try and check that out. MAC's CAI is chrome so it looks real nice. oh I got the one that runs for the TB to the Fenderwell.

BBK CAI Dyno Numbers

I recently had my car dyno'ed on the same dyno, same dyno operator, same weather, same car, and the same mods. The only difference was the BBK CAI on the 2nd dyno.

Stock Airbox + K&N
~170whp
~195wtq

BBK CAI
~175whp
~200wtq

So, at the PEAK, I gained a modest 5whp/5wtq, but at 4500rpms, I gained 12whp/14wtq. I also gained between 6-12whp and 10-14wtq from 2000rpms up to the max gain at 4500. So, in my opinion, CAI is totally worth it. Sure, its no supercharger, but thats a significant gain for little money. I bought mine used for $100, but Ebay intakes are like 14 cents, so thats the cheapest way to go.