Cold Air Kits

• Sponsors (?)

I was running the BBK intake until just recently. I liked it very much, for an intake that didnt require a tune. I still am glad I switched to the JLT and tuner, but if you dont want to retune your car, this is a good piece. I actually am trying to get rid of the BBK that I was using if you're interested.

The other CAI kits that I know of that do not require a tune are K&N, Granatelli Motorsports and Western Motorsports(this is by far the most involved and requires the radiator overflow bottle to be relocated and splicing of the MAF wires). A tune makes a huge difference over stock as well. Not just the increase in power, but driveability as well.

I can honestly say that spending the extra money on a custom tuned tuner from either Brenspeed or BamaChips is well worth the money. I got the SCT X-CAL 2 with my WMS CAI eventhough it does NOT require a retune, but figured reading all the positives of the tuner here on:SNSign: , I would get it in a package deal and save a few $$$.

you dont HAVE to remove it, but it will benefit you in the long run. with one that does not require a retune, it would not be necessary to remove it, but you wont be as satisfied with the gains you get either...

i was one of the first in our area to go with the c&l cold air kit and sct tuning it was an unreal sop feeling as well as on the dyno. on a na versoin i would get the throttle body,pullies,c and l cold air kit. jba headers and diff rear and front exhaust with 4.10 gears i was running 12.9 at 109 mph on this n.a combo with good tires

That sounds like a pain do have to do each time. Will I have to do this for every type (including the ones that do not have to be flashed)?

Stang 964, it may be a pain to do each time but until you're able to locate a mod friendly dealer ? you won't have much of a choice, so you're going to have to decide which is more important, putting up with the inconvenience of re-installing you're factory parts during dealer visits ? or taking the possible risk of getting hassled for leaving your aftermarket parts on.. You also need to be aware that the dealer can choose to update your factory program at anytime without you're consent and in the event you don't return your vehicle back to the stock program before the dealer updates your stock program files ? you'll no longer be able to use your tuning device due to the fact that once you download a custom tune file into you're car's PCM ? the tuning device becomes locked to that vehicle until you return it back to the stock program...Therefore I strongly recommend, you make certain to always re-flash back to stock before visiting you're dealership, no matter what the reason may be...:shrug:

Sounds like I will go with a product that will have a tuner and just have to find a dealer around here that is easy to get along with. Thanks for all of your suggestions I really do appreciate the help. Being a female car nut sometimes has its disadvantages.

If you're claiming that Steeda's cold air intakes do not require tuning ? you're 100% dead wrong.. All their intakes require re-tuning for the S-197 Mustang..Therefore I highly recommend that you also take a look at Steeda's website ? before posting inaccurate info on this forum.

No you need to take another look. They offer a filter that can be dropped in place of the stock one without A TUNE! The stock setup is a CAI, if you want to get technical. Yes Steeda does offer a filter/mass air meter replacement that needs a tune. But the person asked for something that doesnt require a tune, and I was offering Steeda as another alternative. My mistake for not being so clear on my answer... but please dont jump the gun when correcting people. And Im not going to argue that the stock setup is a CAI either.......

I originally dropped in a K+N (9 months ago), slight improvement. Last week I installed the INJEN intake - much improvement. Manufacturer states no tune required. However I also installed the JET module to richen air/fuel ratio just too make sure it doesnt lean out.