Cold Air Kits

No you need to take another look. They offer a filter that can be dropped in place of the stock one without A TUNE! The stock setup is a CAI, if you want to get technical. Yes Steeda does offer a filter/mass air meter replacement that needs a tune. But the person asked for something that doesnt require a tune, and I was offering Steeda as another alternative. My mistake for not being so clear on my answer... but please dont jump the gun when correcting people. And Im not going to argue that the stock setup is a CAI either.......

Let's get something straight right now ! The stock set up is NOT a cold air induction intake otherwise cold air intakes such as you're DeMolet and my Steeda CAI would not be required nor necessary in the first place..And the person in question asked specifically for a cold air intake that doesn't require a re-flash of the PCM and not just a drop in filter replacement for her stock airbox, which btw ? is still considered as an air restriction regardless of what type of K&N panel filter you drop in..Therefore if you're unable to tell the difference between a drop in filter replacement for the stock airbox and a cold air intake kit ? you have no business even being in this forum let alone giving out advice to another member and perhaps if you had been more specific in the first place ? I wouldn't have had a reason for jumping the gun to begin with... As for you're un-realistic claim about the stock set up being considered the same as a CAI is concerned ? not only is you're claim completely 100% inaccurate but it's also a technical and proven fact..Therefore you have absolutely no chance in hell of proving otherwise, let alone winning any argument here...:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

• Sponsors (?)

I need help with determining which cold air kit to put on my 2007 GT.
Can someone make a suggestion. I want one that I do not have to reflash the computer.

There are quite a few out there that don't require reflashing, but If I were to recommend just one ? I would have to say that the best kit in my honest opinion would be the Granatelli cold air system, it's very similar in design with the C&L street intake in which also includes a re-calibrated MAF sensor that replaces your factory one along with a jumper harness that plugs directly into your factory MAF wiring harness in order to keep your air/fuel ratio from going lean which is also another reason it's designed to where no reflashing of the computer is required..However ? should you decide that later down the road you want to upgrade to more mod's ? that require reflashing of the computer ? you will then have to unplug the jumper harness and also re-install your factory MAF sensor in your intake tube if you plan on using a hand held programmer..I was really considering his cold air kit as my choice until realizing I also wanted to add more upgrades that require reflashing but again for the person who doesn't plan on using a programmer ? this would definitely be the ideal cold air kit..I'll also include a pic for you to check out and wish you the very best of luck in your choice..:nice:
410040.jpg

Attachments

• 410040.jpg
    410040.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 56
any true cold air kit that deletes the emissions filter which is a restriction will require a retune to keep from being leaner than recc. my only question to those stating that a cold air kit on the spanish oaks cars dont need a tune is. why on earth would you put any cold air kit on at all and not retune the car to get the best potential out of the part you paid for. if the stock air box is a cold air kit why change the parts then makes no sense to me

There are quite a few out there that don't require reflashing, but If I were to recommend just one ? I would have to say that the best kit in my honest opinion would be the Granatelli cold air system, it's very similar in design with the C&L street intake in which also includes a re-calibrated MAF sensor that replaces your factory one along with a jumper harness that plugs directly into your factory MAF wiring harness in order to keep your air/fuel ratio from going lean so this way it's designed to where no reflashing of the computer is required..However ? should you decide that later down the road you want to upgrade to more mod's ? that require reflashing of the computer ? you will then have to unplug the jumper harness and also re-install your factory MAF sensor in your intake tube, if you plan on using a hand held programmer..I was really considering his cold air kit as my choice until realizing I also wanted to add more upgrades that require reflashing but again for the person who doesn't plan on using a programmer ? this would definitely be the ideal cold air kit..I'll also include a pic for you to check out and wish you the very best of luck in your choice..:nice:
410040.jpg

not flaming. why on earth would anyone do all that. i think the dealer would have a bigger heart attack about changing mafs and jumper harness' all to fool the ecm. just reprogram it. also the reprogram kits usually put out more hp. and usually get rid of the dreaded accel. pedal lag. and again if you are going to do any other mods the programmer is the way to go jmho

Attachments

• 410040.jpg
    410040.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 57
I understand you're point Sonic but she specifically wants a cold air intake that doesn't require reflashing the PCM so in my honest opinion ? I recommended the GMS kit as the best bang for the buck performance that doesn't require reflashing of the PCM :shrug: However if for any reason she doesn't like the idea of un-installing the MAF sensor and jumper harness before taking her vehicle in for servicing ? then under no circumstances would I recommend this kit and would then advise going with either the K&N or the Airaid cold air kit instead as my top choices..As for myself ? I agree with you 100% there's just no substitute for a good custom tune as far as improved HP, Torque and most of all ? improved throttle response by getting rid of that dreaded drive by wire throttle lag lol.

I know, that's why I'm still laughing my butt off..now I've really heard it all ? the stock airbox as a cold air intake..how ridiculous :rlaugh:

Laugh all you want but look at most of the aftermarket CAI kits. Whats the difference between it and the stock CAI? Bigger piping, filter and Mass air meter, However, if Im correct it retains the same damn layout and position! It even pulls air from the same damn spot, right off the street. So how you claim that the aftermarket kits are CAI? they should be called "Cooler Air Intakes, not cold air intakes. What is the purpose of the stock CAI? To lower the noise of the intake, thats why it has so many bends and is made from thick rubber. However, its almost completely sealed and pulls air from the outside of the engine. Now how is that not similar to 90% of the aftermarket CAI's besides being smaller in diameter? Oh dont tell me youre being bluffed by all the marketing that goes on to sell these things! I believe this was discussed a year ago on the 5.0 forums, which I have been a member of for almost 3 years before the crash. So to those who insult my intelligence, wake up and look beyond what all the advertisers say a CAI is supposed to be. The stock setup, as well as many other manufacturers, is an example of a fully enclosed filter pulling air from outside of the engine. So isnt that considered a CAI? And to those who want to argue about this, try a search on the 5.0 tech forums. Because this is not the first time nor the last where everyone will argue what a true CAI is supposed to be........ :bang:

Let's get something straight right now ! The stock set up is NOT a cold air induction intake otherwise cold air intakes such as you're DeMolet and my Steeda CAI would not be required nor necessary in the first place..And the person in question asked specifically for a cold air intake that doesn't require a re-flash of the PCM and not just a drop in filter replacement for her stock airbox, which btw ? is still considered as an air restriction regardless of what type of K&N panel filter you drop in..Therefore if you're unable to tell the difference between a drop in filter replacement for the stock airbox and a cold air intake kit ? you have no business even being in this forum let alone giving out advice to another member and perhaps if you had been more specific in the first place ? I wouldn't have had a reason for jumping the gun to begin with... As for you're un-realistic claim about the stock set up being considered the same as a CAI is concerned ? not only is you're claim completely 100% inaccurate but it's also a technical and proven fact..Therefore you have absolutely no chance in hell of proving otherwise, let alone winning any argument here...:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

Damn. Sounds like Im arguing with a 10 year old kid. Better make sure you ask your mommy if you can play here before you start insulting others who you dont know. You dont know me so dont even start. I never insulted you or your comments. I made a simple comment that might be a different theory of thinking then yours. As mentioned before this is a forum for us to share different views, it doesnt matter who's wrong or right, because who has the right to judge? Oh wait, you must be the Stangnet Judge who decides which info is correct and who could stay here and comment. Everyone please rise for the Honorable Red05BullitGT....:rolleyes:

The factory airbox does indeed pull air from inside the fender, hence pulling in "cold air". Just because it is a cold air setup doesn't mean it's a GOOD cold air setup. These aftermarket cai's suck in hotter air than the stock airbox.

Now that doesn't mean I'my saying the stock airbox is better, cause it's not. The benefits of the aftermarket cai's have clearly been stated time & time again. But the stock airbox IS a cold air setup, albeit a ****ty cold air setup.

The reason some cai's need a tune is because of maf housing size. If the maf is bigger than stock, then it needs remapped. This is how some of the "lesser" cai's get by with the stock tune... they have stock maf size.

Damn. Sounds like Im arguing with a 10 year old kid. Better make sure you ask your mommy if you can play here before you start insulting others who you dont know. You dont know me so dont even start. I never insulted you or your comments. I made a simple comment that might be a different theory of thinking then yours. As mentioned before this is a forum for us to share different views, it doesnt matter who's wrong or right, because who has the right to judge? Oh wait, you must be the Stangnet Judge who decides which info is correct and who could stay here and comment. Everyone please rise for the Honorable Red05BullitGT....:rolleyes:

As I previously mentioned, if you're unable to tell the difference between a drop in filter replacement for the stock air box and a cold air kit ? you have absolutely no business being in this forum period...As for your ridiculous claims are concerned ? take a good look at the K&N aircharger, the AEM, BBK, S&B and AFE cold air kits, not only do these cold air kits not require retuning ? but you'll also notice their MAF housing are exactly the same size as the stock MAF in fact the AFE kit is actually a bit smaller than stock, so there goes your simple theory right out the window and speaking of another example of your simple and ridiculous claims ? it's also a proven fact the stock airbox is very air restrictive and was designed primarily for noise and emission purposes in which Ford has been using the same basic design for nearly 25 years.. As a matter of fact ? why don't you ask John DeMolet who your purchased your cold air kit from about this and I guarantee he'll confirm just how restrictive the stock airbox really is and while you're at it there Mr. Roger Ramjet ? ask any of the big 3 tuners such as Brent from brenspeed.com Doug from bamachips.com and Mike from powerhouse411.com or ask anyone from Steeda if they consider the stock airbox as being in the same league as a cold air kit ? and I assure you the very first question they ask you is, what in the hell are you smoking ? :rlaugh: but then again I suppose you'll also consider them as 10 year old's right ? However the only adolescent with the intelligence of a 10 year old around here is you..Therefore take a good look in the mirror at yourself, before questioning anyone else's intelligence and make sure that you don't ask you're Mommy if it's alright to go outside and play, until you're finished with you're homework first, because it's more than obvious you've got a lot of catching up to do before you can play with the bigboys...:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

The factory airbox does indeed pull air from inside the fender, hence pulling in "cold air". Just because it is a cold air setup doesn't mean it's a GOOD cold air setup. These aftermarket cai's suck in hotter air than the stock airbox.

Now that doesn't mean I'my saying the stock airbox is better, cause it's not. The benefits of the aftermarket cai's have clearly been stated time & time again. But the stock airbox IS a cold air setup, albeit a ****ty cold air setup.

The reason some cai's need a tune is because of maf housing size. If the maf is bigger than stock, then it needs remapped. This is how some of the "lesser" cai's get by with the stock tune... they have stock maf size.

ProMod come on now, let's be serious here..You know as well as anybody else the stock airbox was designed by Ford primarily for emission and noise purposes, otherwise it's overall design wouldn't be so restrictive that a cold air intake would be necessary in order to provide more airflow to the intake manifold, that the stock airbox chokes off in the first place ? thanks to it's flat lid design and S curved rubber intake tube that also restricts airflow due to those ridges inside the tube.. As for pulling in colder air from the fenderwell is concerned, do you realize just how small of an opening is in there ? I'll put it this way it's so small that by the time that tiny amount of airflow passes through the stock air filter and reaches the intake manifold ? it's not going to be nearly enough to provide any real benefit in performance compared to what a cold air intake can provide. However on the other hand ? I agree that most cold air intakes with the exception of the WMS pull in more warm air than actual cold air because none of them have come up with a way of mounting the filter itself outside of the fenderwell ? but never the less, there all still a very huge improvement over stock as far as providing more airflow in general...:shrug: And again your exactly right about how some of the cold air kits such as the K&N aircharger AEM, AFE, S&B and BBK are able to get by with the stock tune is because they all have the same MAF size as stock..therefore they don't require a reflash of the PCM

any true cold air kit that deletes the emissions filter which is a restriction will require a retune to keep from being leaner than recc. my only question to those stating that a cold air kit on the spanish oaks cars dont need a tune is. why on earth would you put any cold air kit on at all and not retune the car to get the best potential out of the part you paid for. if the stock air box is a cold air kit why change the parts then makes no sense to me

Because you're absolutely correct, Ford designed the stock airbox primarily for emission and noise purposes and not for performance. otherwise if it weren't so air restrictive ? there would be no reason for replacing them in the first place..Therefore you're right, it wouldn't make any logical sense at all...:nice:

This is the one that I am going to have installed. I have someone at Dallas Mustang that has this on his and he really likes it. He even has a tech from a Ford Dealership that will come over and install it for me. I really appreciate the help the you have provided to me on this. I'm just trying to go step by step on making my mustang a little better and faster.

my thoughts are why fool the computer with the maf and jumper wire thats old school snp5 air flow meter recal crap. the reflash is less problematic and it lets the car and cpu do what needs to be done realtime instead of tricking it into doing something. jmho the c and l and the sct are the best choice heck most ford dealers even sell them

This is the one that I am going to have installed. I have someone at Dallas Mustang that has this on his and he really likes it. He even has a tech from a Ford Dealership that will come over and install it for me. I really appreciate the help the you have provided to me on this. I'm just trying to go step by step on making my mustang a little better and faster.

So which cold air kit are you going with Stang964 ?