Cold out > Low Coolant Light

Synned

took tubgirl on a date and got banned
Mar 31, 2005
Philly
Okay, when I got out of work last night it was pretty cold and snowing. I started the car and had a low coolant light. Do you guys think that this is because its cold, maybe it froze? Or is it just a coincidence. It stayed on for all of the 5 minutes of driving. Do I just need more coolant?

• Sponsors (?)

FWIW, the low coolant light will stay on until you restart the car. It doesn't go off until then.

Sometimes if I'm a little low on coolant, the light will come on only when it's cold out. If it's warm, or the engine is already warm, then it won't come on. Just check your overflow tank, I bet you just need a little more.

You know I thought that water contracted when it was cooled (and frozen). But just recently there was a thread where somebody said that water was the only liquid to expand when cooled. That makes sense, since an engine has freeze plugs to pop out in case the coolant freezes. But yea, just put a little in, and you should be set.

95strokerPSU said:
Cold water expands...think about potholes, water gets in cracks in the road, expands, and causes holes. Make sure you are close to a 50/50 water/coolant mix. Someone on here just recently froze their radiator with 70/30 water/coolant mix.
that's what i figured. in this case (freezing temps) shouldn't he run more coolant than water? like a 70 coolant and 30 water?

CManT1914 said:
You know I thought that water contracted when it was cooled (and frozen). But just recently there was a thread where somebody said that water was the only liquid to expand when cooled. That makes sense, since an engine has freeze plugs to pop out in case the coolant freezes. But yea, just put a little in, and you should be set.

Yup, water is the only one. It's molecular structure is to blame. It has enough energy to condense when you start to freeze it, but once you get to 32*F it starts to expand because the energy level drops. There are polar charges on each end, one pos and one neg.

That is why cars have freeze plugs. To expand when the water freezes. so you don't crack your block. But it shouldn't if you have enough antifreeze in the system.
Scott

95strokerPSU said:
Cold water expands...think about potholes, water gets in cracks in the road, expands, and causes holes. Make sure you are close to a 50/50 water/coolant mix. Someone on here just recently froze their radiator with 70/30 water/coolant mix.

No, cold water contracts ... Frozen Water expands.

ok, all you newtons and dingleberries, since we can't decide whether or not it expands or contracts, we can definately agree that water does SOMETHING. with that said, i'll refer to my previous post--shouldn't he run more coolant in the mixture? like 70 coolant and 30 water?

i run stright coolant in my over flow/coolant tank and a mix in the radiator, or just go to the car store and get a cheap ass tester ($5.00) and check the coolant level in the rad. for the freeze level. $5.00 for this tester is better then a couple of grand for another engine! peace

john:p