Cold Start 4.6 2001 GT auto

Greg Beehner

Aug 28, 2008
Recently, my GT has been having problems with cold starting. It runs excellent after it runs for a few minutes.
I just changed out the spark plugs, cleaned the K&N air filter, but not change.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Greg

• Sponsors (?)

Without going through the hole shibang, we are shooting in the dark.

What's the fuel pressure at during start up?

IACV values?

Throttle body clean?

What exactly is it doing, taking a long time to fire up or it still takes just a few revolutions but then sit there and stumbles for a bit?

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

1. No mis fires
2. No stumblings
3. Runs outstanding once it starts
4. Battery is in great shape.
5. Once it starts it is extremly smooth with no issues
6. What is the IACV values?
7. Fuel filter has not been changed in a while(probaly 50,000 miles)
On changing the fuel filter, what tool do you need, I do not remember any special tool the last time I change the filter.

Thanks to each of you for your input.

How old is the battery?

IF it is older than a couple years, take it down to the local autoparts store and have them run it. My old battery couldnt hold a charge and would occasionally click and then nothing when I would go to start it, whether it is warm or cold.

50k... change that fuel filter ASAP. Thats a 30k replacment part.

Go to your local parts store and look for a 3/8th's fuel line seperator. I beleive thats what it's called. One end will be 3/8th's, the other a different size, maybe 5/16th's? That slides up and disconnects the fuel line at the filter. Its the only special tool that is needed.

I changed the fuel filter, it had some black junk in the filter and appeared to be clogged, but no change in original problem.

When you turn the the key, the engine starts immediately, with no hesitation, no extra carnking, but acts like it is going to die(sometimes it does). If you pump the gas once it starts, it smooths out and then idles fine.

I have never cleaned the throttle body, and what/where are the IACV valve?

Thanks again