collector size is different on my car??

HazMat404

Founding Member
May 24, 2002
ok...well i have bbk shorty headers on my car. well ive had an exhaust leak from the collector to hpipe since i put them on about a month ago. well i figure out today (took me long enough) that my collector on the bbk's are smaller than my stock ones. that is why my hpipe wont line up to my headers because it is pretty much consuming the entire ball of the collector. i either need to find a larger metal gasket (can only find smaller specific fit ones that will leak on both sides) or someone figure out a way to make my hpipe smaller. its a 2.5" o/r hpipe.

just doesnt make any sense. i can see where it completley consumes the ball but i never thought of it being smaller than stock. i even put my stock hpipe back on it and its the same thing with the same size leak. im sick of this and want my car running normal again. anyone got any ideas??

• Sponsors (?)

Duct tape fixes everything :shrug: :D

what h-pipe did you go with? I got the BBK LT's and matching shorty H-Pipe so i don't have any leaks there... Maybe A LOT of high temp RTV around the collectors might work. Have you tried using an impact to tighten the bolts down? Maybe your not getting them tight enough.

You can always go to a muffler shop and see what they would recomend. Sorry to hear about your misfortune but if you can't get it fixed, try to sell the h-pipe (or headers) and get another one with the same size collectors

well its a lil hard to describe but no amount of tightening will do it. the "socket" on the hpipe completely consumes the "ball" on the headers so it doesnt even really touch like it is supposed to. it physically looks smaller than the stock header collector. im thinkin i either need a huge metal gasket or ....god, i dont know anything else