Come On People I thought This Was A Mustang GT MotorHead Site HELP

naildriverinnc

Sep 30, 2007
I got a 1990 Ford Mustang 5.0 I just bought it here is some stuff that was done to it.NEW 5.0L CRATE ENGINE W/ GT40 HEADS AND VALVE TRAIN.NEW NEW WORLD T-5 TRANS AND SHORT THROW SHIFTER. NEW 3.73 GEARS. NEW HIGH PERFORMANCE FORD MOTORSPORT CLUTCH. COBRA INTAKE AND 70MM THROTTLE BODY. COLD AIR INTAKE & UNDERDRIVE PULLEY'S. SHORTY HEADERS, X-PIPE & FLOW MASTER MUFFLERS. Ok the guy I got it from said the Harmonic Balancer was bad, when you have it out of gear at an idle and give it gas you can hear a noise when it's in gear and driving it's kinda like a something bent like a wash machine off balanced not real bad though. Well I checked the Harmonic Balancer and the rubber was pushing out so the ford dealer ordered a new and installed it. Still doing the same thing. Someone Help Please. :bang: :mad:

• Sponsors (?)

Recheck the balancer
Make sure the crank pulley bolts are tight
Check driveshaft yoke and U-joints for play (just to be sure)
Find out of the motor was ever rebuilt
Find out what spec the imbalance of the rotating assembly is if it was rebuilt
Ensure that the flywheel imbalance matches the engine imbalance
Ensure that the clutch alignment pins were installed correctly
Ensure flywheel bolts are tight

Try the rev thing again too... once with clutch engaged and once without. That'll give a little more info.

naildriverinnc said:
It does the same thing with the clutch engaged and without. You can feel something off balanced pretty bad too.

Well at least you know it's not anything rearward of the clutch.

I'd still be concerned with the balancer and flywheel. I might even be concerned with the mains and main bolts and bearings. :eek:

Sounds like a flywheel/harmonic balancer conflict issue. My buddy made this mistake on one of his engines....had the wrong flywheel on it. When you revved it up it felt like a washing machine on spin cycle, only 100x worse. A bad balancer would feel/sound similar though so check both.