Wheels-Tires Common Tire Problem 90gt

Justin87

5 Year Member
Aug 7, 2017
Hello Friends!

I have a slight tire rubbing problem with my 1990 GT on the front axle. I have 16" Pony wheels from a 91 Mustang on the car and they rub somewhere in the front on turns (usually within the first rotation of the steering wheel.) but only for a split second.

Now we ALL know the fenders on an 87-90 Mustang are smaller than the 91-93 Mustang, but what I could not find info on was the common spots where the tires rub and if there is any simple fix like a wheel spacer or something.

I have a lot of upgrades planned for the car including (eventually) new wheels but in the mean time before I put the car on dollies and store it in my garage for the winter, I'd like to try and eliminate the problem with something cheap (if it exists. Not sure it does.)

Tire size is: 225/55/16 (which i believe is the stock size for a 91 but I could be wrong.)

I don't think it's hitting the strut or the control arm. My GUESS would be the ground effects molding but I'm not 100% sure.

Attachments

• IMG_2099.jpg
    IMG_2099.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 205
  • IMG_2053.jpg
    IMG_2053.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 202
  • Sponsors (?)

Adding a steering rack limiter (One maybe 2 per side depending on what's still there) should make a difference and they're cheap. Otherwise, the right way is to get the 91-93 fender front extension and modify the fender to accommodate or get the 91-93 fender.

Adding a steering rack limiter (One maybe 2 per side depending on what's still there) should make a difference and they're cheap. Otherwise, the right way is to get the 91-93 fender front extension and modify the fender to accommodate or get the 91-93 fender.

By all means correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the rack limiters more for when you get rubbing at full steering lock?

The reason I ask is, mine happens within the first rotation of the steering wheel, you can hear it but only for a split second. I feel like I'd need to put so many on the rack and basically eliminate my ability to turn at all in order to prevent it.

Yes, you're correct on that they will for full lock. If you're getting rubbing on not all the way full lock, there's something else going on or your car is really low. I had rubbing at full lock so added a limiter to each side. No rubbing at all otherwise.

Yes, you're correct on that they will for full lock. If you're getting rubbing on not all the way full lock, there's something else going on or your car is really low. I had rubbing at full lock so added a limiter to each side. No rubbing at all otherwise.

Ok that's, what I figured.

Yeah, the entire car is original minus the a CAI and the new brake parts I just put on it so I'm not doubting it could be sagging suspension parts adding to the problem.

Thus far, I can't tell if it's rubbing at full lock. I don't hear it, but I suppose it might be. I know I hear it for sure for a split second within the first full rotation of the steering wheel.

I'll keep poking around.

Are you talking about where I circled? I put 245/45/17 on the front of my '89 LX and I had the same small rub. I just took a Dremel with a cutting wheel and trimmed the spat a little where it was hitting. Been fine ever since.
IMG_2053.jpg

You can see where it's rubbing. That's a common spot for wheels to rub, and it's going to depend on variables such as ride height, tire brand (different brands have different diameters) and condition of the bushings and such in the a-arms and k-member alignment. Also, that area where it's rubbing

You can try and be creative with tire sizes.

OEM tire size is 225/55/16 = 25.75" in diameter

You could try this next time you need tires

Rear: 245/50/16 = 25.65" OD
Front 235/50/16 = 25.25" OD

Last edited:
You can see where it's rubbing. That's a common spot for wheels to rub, and it's going to depend on variables such as ride height, tire brand (different brands have different diameters) and condition of the bushings and such in the a-arms and k-member alignment. Also, that area where it's rubbing

You can try and be creative with tire sizes.

OEM tire size is 225/55/16 = 25.75" in diameter

You could try this next time you need tires

Rear: 245/50/16 = 25.65" OD
Front 235/50/16 = 25.25" OD

I'll definitely check into those tire sizes next time around. Thanks for the input!