COMP CAMS XTREME ENERGY XE282 HYDRAULIC ROLLER

wlink1

Banned
Apr 12, 2007
Winston Salem
Any one running this cam? Could I run this cam without problems?

Cam Style: Hydraulic roller tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,600-6,500 RPM
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 232
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 240
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 232 int./240 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 282
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 290
Advertised Duration: 282 int./290 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.565 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.574 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.565 int./0.574 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 112
Intake Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Exhaust Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Computer Controlled Compatible: Yes
Grind Number: FW XE282HR-12
Quantity: Sold individually.

My setup with this cam will be:
Stock 302 Block
GT40P heads or thumper ported E7
Stock rockers but eventually 1.6
Explorer Intake
BBK 75mm trhottle body with TF elbow
Underdrive Pullies
Off road H-pipe
Shorties
40 series flows
15 degree timing adv.
AODE

• Sponsors (?)

that is a great cam, but ...

there is no way in hell those heads and intake will be able to keep up with that cam.

and the lift might be too much for a stock shortblock, piston to valve clearance wise.

i actually have one of those cams sitting in my basement. i'm considering using it on my 410. there is a guy on hardcore50 running one on his fox-based 410 with afr 225s and a victor efi intake. he runs 10.7s all day through a 4R70W tranny.

i have an engine building book where they used one of those cams with a rebuilt 302 bottom end (forged pistons) with afr 185s and a 750 carb. it made 450hp on an engine dyno.

that is a great cam, but ...

there is no way in hell those heads and intake will be able to keep up with that cam.

and the lift might be too much for a stock shortblock, piston to valve clearance wise.

i actually have one of those cams sitting in my basement. i'm considering using it on my 410. there is a guy on hardcore50 running one on his fox-based 410 with afr 225s and a victor efi intake. he runs 10.7s all day through a 4R70W tranny.

i have an engine building book where they used one of those cams with a rebuilt 302 bottom end (forged pistons) with afr 185s and a 750 carb. it made 450hp on an engine dyno.

Thanks I had just found one locally for $100 and knew that the numbers looked good just wasn't sure if I could run it. So I guess back to a E cam or Steeda 19.

wlink1 - Of those cams you listed, I would pick one of the latter. They will work best with your powerband. That XE282 looks more stroker oriented, for the higher demands of air the stroked combinations seek.

By the way, lift is very little to do with p-v clearance, if really any at all. The period of overlap with to early intake openings and late exhaust closings will usually do the trick of letting the valves give the pistons a big 'ole smooch.

The Steeda 19 is a bit more idle friendly with a 115* lobe seperation angle.

If on a budget, ever think about a Trickflow Stage 1 cam?

It is all what makes you happy:nice:

wlink1 - Of those cams you listed, I would pick one of the latter. They will work best with your powerband. That XE282 looks more stroker oriented, for the higher demands of air the stroked combinations seek.

By the way, lift is very little to do with p-v clearance, if really any at all. The period of overlap with to early intake openings and late exhaust closings will usually do the trick of letting the valves give the pistons a big 'ole smooch.

The Steeda 19 is a bit more idle friendly with a 115* lobe seperation angle.

If on a budget, ever think about a Trickflow Stage 1 cam?

It is all what makes you happy:nice:

is this stage 1 or 2? Could I use it?

Trick Flow Specialties Product Line: Trick Flow Track Heat Camshafts for Ford Part Type: Camshafts Cam Style: Hydraulic roller tappet Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,500-6,000 Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224 Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 232 Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224 int./232 exh. Advertised Intake Duration: 286 Advertised Exhaust Duration: 294 Advertised Duration: 286 int./294 exh. Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.542 in. Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.563 in. 112 centerline

That is the stage 2, and typically is designed for higher revving engines or strokers, unlike your car. It also may cause a piston to valve clearance problem.

Personally I would stick with the TFS Stage 1 or similar.

Bigger is not always better.

It would be best to match the camshaft to the breathing capability of your engine.