Comp Intake... Too good to be true?

• Sponsors (?)

87GTSnake said:
It would probably work good in conjunction with a blower, but on a mostly stock car it would kill the low end.

yea but I personally don't need the low end anyway, the notch won't hook as it is with 17x9's on the back and it's stock with a smog bypass/exhaust/cold air tube/70mm throttle body :rlaugh:

when cartech (or, whoever it was) was making those, I helped a friend replace one on the center divider in front of Madison Square Mall. It was close to 1:00 am, around 26 degrees out, and I was already sick as a dog. One of Huntsville's finest was watching us from the the old Service Merchandise parking lot, the whole time. When we tightened the last bolt, he came over to find out what we were doing. Turns out, he also owned a 5.0 and was considering one of the plastic intakes. We changed his mind when we showed him the pieces left from it.

pat

btw....it exploded from a below freezing backfire:shrug:

Honestly, most newer car's intakes are plastic, and they fair quite well, at least the newer one's. They are much lighter as well. I know the stock intake, and my performer are quite heavy, not as heavy as the old iron intakes from the good-ole-days, but still heavy. I wish someone would come out with a good plastic intake. It would be another 20lbs off the front of the car.

That intake is made from the same polymer (plastic) as Glock handguns. It's going to be strong enough to do whatever you want to do with it, but don't run nitrous or forced induction on it....one good backfire and it'll blow apart.

All good points... let me sell my Explorer intake on Ebay maybe I'll buy in a couple weeks :shrug: She'll never see the winter or NAWS!

wayyy2fassst said:
when cartech (or, whoever it was) was making those, I helped a friend replace one on the center divider in front of Madison Square Mall. It was close to 1:00 am, around 26 degrees out, and I was already sick as a dog. One of Huntsville's finest was watching us from the the old Service Merchandise parking lot, the whole time. When we tightened the last bolt, he came over to find out what we were doing. Turns out, he also owned a 5.0 and was considering one of the plastic intakes. We changed his mind when we showed him the pieces left from it.

pat

btw....it exploded from a below freezing backfire:shrug:

You're hittin too close to home... that must have been about 10 years ago before our newer mayor took over and all of the Cops drag raced with us :nice: :shrug:

PS: Sorry about the Tennessee j/k in the other thread- If you broke a center divider in front of teh mall you are cool with me buddy :D

PsS: Glock is Teh WIN!!! I'm a huge fan and nobody start arguing with an Alabama boy with trophies to prove I know what I'm talking about. 2nd Place North Alabama 1996 BAAAAAAAAAAABY~~~

HoodStrype said:
All good points... let me sell my Explorer intake on Ebay maybe I'll buy in a couple weeks :shrug: She'll never see the winter or NAWS!

You're hittin too close to home... that must have been about 10 years ago before our newer mayor took over and all of the Cops drag raced with us :nice: :shrug:

PS: Sorry about the Tennessee j/k in the other thread- If you broke a center divider in front of teh mall you are cool with me buddy :D

PsS: Glock is Teh WIN!!! I'm a huge fan and nobody start arguing with an Alabama boy with trophies to prove I know what I'm talking about. 2nd Place North Alabama 1996 BAAAAAAAAAAABY~~~

Ill buy your explorer intake, send me a pm with a price.

If you don't want to grenade your intake, then tune the motor properly.
At below freezing temps, I get brittle.

I am using a Comp Cams upper on a Lightning lower. On the 408w it is a great combo. Adding boost would blow out all the joints and fitting connections. The intake should have been made about twice as thick with better stiffening if it were to be used with boost.

When I used this upper on the stock 302 with a Cobra lower the bottom end torque was pitiful. I was using 3.27 gears and the sound system adds a couple hundred lbs. Using bigger gears and keeping the weight down will help.

In all I love the intake. The valve covers are much easier to get to. In general it is much easier to work on. I can pull everything from the TB to lower intake in one piece.

my thoghts
jason