Complete Engine Teardown

tomustang

Psychotic Member
Founding Member
Jun 8, 2000
McLean Hospital
So one of my rod bearings went out so I'm going to tear the whole engine down and have it rebuilt by VT. I need some articles/write-ups/how to's whatever to aid me doing this, just in case I miss something. I have the haynes/chilton guides too.

Also, what would be nice to replace since everything is torn apart? I'm going to replace the TOB while the block is off. Someone got a list of what I need to replace (gasjets, chains) so I can tally up the price? and what I should also replace since it's all torn apart, like oil pump etc..

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

You should get the shop manual on your stang...its pricey but well worth it, it gives you every part number and every detail for $150 tranny and engine down to troubleshooting flow charts :)

This manual is priceless!!
www.helminc.com is this site i ordered it from.

Damn Tom, that sucks bro!!

Are you going to have VT do the whole long block, or just the short block?? MAKE SURE you take lots of pics, put all nuts and bolts in labeled ziplock bags, and use masking tape and a sharpie to label ALL VACUUM LINES!! This will save you a HUGE headache in the long run. You may want to consider doing little things like a newer high flow water pump and such while you got the motor out. Also, might as well change out the tensioners and chain guides for good measure while your at it. Oh yeah, CLEAN THE ENGINE BAY while the motor is out! Good luck bro! PM me if you have any other ??'s.

nex2nutin said:
You should get the shop manual on your stang...its pricey but well worth it, it gives you every part number and every detail for $150 tranny and engine down to troubleshooting flow charts :)

This manual is priceless!!
www.helminc.com is this site i ordered it from.

Yeah I might be able to use my local dealership computer :cool: but buying the book is what I want but I don't know if I can afford it :notnice:

forpit2000gt said:
are you rebuilding or VT. If they are doing it, most everything will be in their price.

Dan_Soprano said:
Damn Tom, that sucks bro!!

Are you going to have VT do the whole long block, or just the short block?? MAKE SURE you take lots of pics, put all nuts and bolts in labeled ziplock bags, and use masking tape and a sharpie to label ALL VACUUM LINES!! This will save you a HUGE headache in the long run. You may want to consider doing little things like a newer high flow water pump and such while you got the motor out. Also, might as well change out the tensioners and chain guides for good measure while your at it. Oh yeah, CLEAN THE ENGINE BAY while the motor is out! Good luck bro! PM me if you have any other ??'s.

VT is going to build the shortblock, I'm going to tear it all apart and put the SB and everything else back together, hey thanks for reminding me about the tensioners+guides :nice: I did the headswap (2V) before and took like 150 pics and labeled baggies plus rescrewed nuts/bolts back where they were on parts before.

jstreet0204 said:

hey thanks for the link :nice: I don't think I'll need the cam holding though, but the others are neat.

I also purchased an engine stand and engine puller so I got another step down :nice:

tomustang said:
Yeah I might be able to use my local dealership computer :cool: but buying the book is what I want but I don't know if I can afford it :notnice:

VT is going to build the shortblock, I'm going to tear it all apart and put the SB and everything else back together, hey thanks for reminding me about the tensioners+guides :nice: I did the headswap (2V) before and took like 150 pics and labeled baggies plus rescrewed nuts/bolts back where they were on parts before.

hey thanks for the link :nice: I don't think I'll need the cam holding though, but the others are neat.

I also purchased an engine stand and engine puller so I got another step down :nice:
Nice! Have fun with the build, and try not to drink too much beer! :rlaugh: