Complete shut down w/code C-18

i'm not here to argue this point, just posting facts:
PIP - profile ignition pickup sensor
This is from a ford distributor parts list.
@91AOD5.0LX has the distributor been replaced (sorry, I didn't go back through the thread)?
Yes, the distributor was replaced. Further more, when the problem continued that new distributor was then swapped out with another new distributor in case the first one was a defective part.

• Sponsors (?)

Will it start with starting fluid?
Has the mechanic checked injector pulse with a noid light?
It starts fine and drives fine but then completely shuts down after a few miles of driving always with foot on the gas. Never at a roll or idol or stopping or stopped. Happens during slow speeds and high speeds. Seems only when on the throttle. Once it shuts down it fires right back up with a turn of the key then drives for a few miles and shuts down again, the same drill over and over.
Fuel pressure is always fine. Doesn’t drop.

The mechanic will have to do his checks when the shut down occurs, I'm sure he knows this, ruff problem to diagnose because of the randomness, likely he will be play'n the 'jiggle the wire harness' game.
Crappy replacement parts are also a problem, manufacturers outsourcing parts from china makes mechanics look bad and causes frustration.
I had a problem with the 'hit a bump, engine die' thing that ended up being the ignition switch under the dash (not the key switch) only to have it resurface a few months later. You have checked/replaced the switch?

The mechanic will have to do his checks when the shut down occurs, I'm sure he knows this, ruff problem to diagnose because of the randomness, likely he will be play'n the 'jiggle the wire harness' game.
Crappy replacement parts are also a problem, manufacturers outsourcing parts from china makes mechanics look bad and causes frustration.
I had a problem with the 'hit a bump, engine die' thing that ended up being the ignition switch under the dash (not the key switch) only to have it resurface a few months later. You have checked/replaced the switch?
He had a box connected to the computer in hopes of grabbing what’s happening within all the circuits when it happens but of course it doesn’t happen while the box was connected.
The wire jiggle game was played by so many of us. Everything under the hood, behind the dash, and harnesses running to the fuel tank, etc. grounds tightened, etc.
The crappy replacement parts is always a concern as you said. That can definitely be an issue here also. The ignition switch you described hasn’t been changed but it was checked and deemed to be operable. The place taking it next is going to use OEM known working parts to swap out including the computer in addition to other instruments they have to trace wiring issues. They will be able to trouble shoot a bit deeper than the other places that had the car because they have more specific equipment for the fox and spare parts on hand to try and confirm or eliminate the cause such as the computer that they have on hand. The previous guys all spent lots of time and effort in trying to figure it out but could only go so far with what equipment they had access to. They were also good enough not to throw random parts at it just to guess. I’m hoping 3 times is the charm as they say. I will let everyone know as soon as it’s solved (if it can be) in hopes of helping someone with the same issue in the future.

Can the issue be replicated in the shop while hooked to diagnostic equipment or does it need to be driving to happen?
It has to be driven.......
Maybe this next place will be able to do it without driving somehow but as of now it has only been able to test while driving.
The problem only occurs when driving every few miles and while on the gas. Never stopped or idle, etc.
I imagine the only way to test inside the shop while hooked up to equipment is putting it up on stands and then sitting inside giving it steady gas while in drive to simulate the car moving? That’s kinda dangerous but maybe one way to test without actually driving around? Maybe that doesn’t even make sense?

Maybe somewhere with an dyno of some kind. Not sure about your area but around here we used to have to do emissions tests on rollers with vehicle in drive. Maybe a shop still gas one.

A tuning dynamic may work too.

Maybe somewhere with an dyno of some kind. Not sure about your area but around here we used to have to do emissions tests on rollers with vehicle in drive. Maybe a shop still gas one.

A tuning dynamic may work too.
We have the rollers here also for emissions. That makes sense so maybe that will work. The last place didn’t have rollers or a dyno and the first place did but not sure they had any diagnostic equipment to hook up. This next place has all that equipment and everything is in doors (not an outside garage type place with bays, etc.
They may be able to run it in place with equipment attached. Fingers crossed

Sounds like fun, I can picture goober and gomer pyle, one driving and the other hang'n onto the intake with one hand, feet flail'n in the air hang'n off the right fender all the while yell'n TERN RIGHT, NOW TERN LEFT, OK SPEED 'ER UP.
Of course they would have to take the hood off....
Sometimes it's fun in my head, most times it's 'what am I here for'.
Hope they find the problem. Right test at the right time.

Sounds like fun, I can picture goober and gomer pyle, one driving and the other hang'n onto the intake with one hand, feet flail'n in the air hang'n off the right fender all the while yell'n TERN RIGHT, NOW TERN LEFT, OK SPEED 'ER UP.
Of course they would have to take the hood off....
Sometimes it's fun in my head, most times it's 'what am I here for'.
Hope they find the problem. Right test at the right time.
This is great! I haven’t laughed about this in 2 months but you managed to make me smile and laugh picturing this senerio. Much better to laugh than be angry right.
Right test at the right time, perfectly said!
This to shall pass as they say and at some point I will be back in business and have some info to share.

This is great! I haven’t laughed about this in 2 months but you managed to make me smile and laugh picturing this senerio. Much better to laugh than be angry right.
Right test at the right time, perfectly said!
This to shall pass as they say and at some point I will be back in business and have some info to share.
Just wondering, are you heading to Mustang Magic, in Deer Park?

You are right General, Splitting hairs with the parts list
Like the fuel delivery module being the fuel pump
They called the stator the pip
There is no part called the profile ignition pickup that I am aware of
DU-30C box says stator 12A112
Your fuel pump box will say fuel pump
In drivability school they talk about the pip signal a lot
It is the main signal that starts it all
The newer ones with EDIS still use the pip signal and it comes from the synchronizer

You are right General, Splitting hairs with the parts list
Like the fuel delivery module being the fuel pump
They called the stator the pip
There is no part called the profile ignition pickup that I am aware of
DU-30C box says stator 12A112
Your fuel pump box will say fuel pump
In drivability school they talk about the pip signal a lot
It is the main signal that starts it all
The newer ones with EDIS still use the pip signal and it comes from the synchronizer
No worries but sometimes you post like you're speaking at a congressional hearing, remember most come here with little to no mechanical experience and don't know what you mean and have visions of a Harvard grad telling them how to work on their car.
All good.

Reactions: 1 user
My buddy has a 93 with the same issue. He's replaced everything trying to find the culprit. The poor car has been sitting for about 8 years now. I told him about the harness by the drivers kick panel but he hasn't messed with it. I think he's lost hope. That was atleast 5 years ago.

Hopefully, you'll have your car back running better than ever.

My buddy has a 93 with the same issue. He's replaced everything trying to find the culprit. The poor car has been sitting for about 8 years now. I told him about the harness by the drivers kick panel but he hasn't messed with it. I think he's lost hope. That was atleast 5 years ago.

Hopefully, you'll have your car back running better than ever.
Oh man that worries me! Poor guy! I refuse to believe it can’t be solved. The problem though is how Much money it’s going to take during all this trial and error and when everything is finally done. With parts and labor I’m down close to 2 grand now and still no fix. I can’t give up though. Not yet at least. Heck, at least I have lots of new parts. Lol
So what harness is by the driver kick panel? Curious because I haven’t messed with that side yet. The passenger side was taken apart to access the computer harness and power relay, etc but nothing on the driver side.... let me know what is hiding over there if you don’t mind and I will wiggle and tug things in that area.
Thanks and hope your buddy gets his second wind with his fox and goes at it again.
The next spot I go to is really going to have to pay attention to the computer harness I think in the engine compartment.

I brought my buddy up to keep you focused and trying to get it straight. He gave up. It's probably as simple as that one connector but he won't try it because he's given up. Don't give up its probably something super simple and easy to fix. Just finding it out is a royal PITA.

I brought my buddy up to keep you focused and trying to get it straight. He gave up. It's probably as simple as that one connector but he won't try it because he's given up. Don't give up its probably something super simple and easy to fix. Just finding it out is a royal PITA.
That’s exactly it, it’s going to be something very stupid when found but finding it is the annoyance.
When it’s finally found I will share in this thread in hopes of saving others time and money. What will ultimately fix it for me may not necessarily be the solution for others with the same problem because there are many causes for this problem but at least I can provide recent credible info at minimal for others once mine is solved. I tried everything others suggested to me but so far no luck so maybe I will have a different solution that will be helpful to others. Time will tell.

Reactions: 1 user
Car dying only once fully up to temp screams bad TFI to me. The engine will start once it has a chance to cool back down.

The fix...
Clean the distributor and make sure it's making good contact to the engine block. Replace the TFI and use extra thermal paste, the TFI going bad will cause a lack of spark even with an msd box installed.

The tfi on a fox is gray in color and should NOT be ccd (computer controlled dwell)

Now the coil could be overheating but this is much less likely.