Engine computer and harness issue

I just pulled engine and automatic transmission out of a 91 Lx to put in a 90 Gt but going with a T5 transmission.I used the engine harness from the Lx.I did a Trickflow top end kit.When I went to start the engine it was running black smoke rich.So after double checking everything with no success,I decided to swap the computer, The car fired right up and no black smoke.So im running a ANP computer in a 5 speed car. My question is will i have any issues and why didnt the A9L computer work with the engine swap ????

• Sponsors (?)

It comes down to the o2 sensor wire plug at the passenger side front bottom of engine. The auto and 5 speed use a different jumper configuration in that harness connector. If the wrong computer is used with the wrong jumper wiring it will damage the computer.

Really need to check to see if you burned out the trace on pin 46 in the ECU. a9L with an auto-pinned O2 harness is a recipe for frying ECU's. it causes voltage on pin 46 that shouldn't be there.

If you want to complete the 5-spd conversion properly, you will need to swap the trans harness to one with the NGS wiring, and repin the O2 harness to move the jumper to the correct location for your year harness. Then you can swap the A9L in.

Running the AOD ecu is fine and it works, but you sometimes get quirks like a hanging idle when you are in nuetral with the clutch out.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Jeez, stop yell'n, I'm old not def, I do have a touch of tinnitus but that is another story. :jester:
The throttle body is the cause, for what reason? Airflow does funny sht as it is pulled through and past stuff. Some have worked the sharp edges at the egr opening in the plate with mixed results. I just live with it for now.
I used to get strange looks at the fuel pump by a couple ricers in the neighborhood, I used to tell them my BOV was noisy.