Computer guys. help...

• Sponsors (?)

I believe you have to be in manual mode. Sorry I can't be more specific, as I don't yet have it installed on this computer (I should do that, now)

Also, the other 130gigs is probably in a hidden partition.

I believe you have to be in manual mode. Sorry I can't be more specific, as I don't yet have it installed on this computer (I should do that, now)

Also, the other 130gigs is probably in a hidden partition.

It didnt find any hidden partitions on the drive. :shrug:

Ill put it in manual and see what i can find.

Ok, Im formatting.

is it the 80GB that is showing 73GB?? if so, then then that is about right.

car nut is asking you if you have a floppy drive not another spot for a HDD. you may be able to use a desktop computer to make the disk if needed, be sure to copy the USB drivers to the floopy.

a backup of your C: drive to your new 200GB drive will not allow the new drive to startup your computer. a backup does not transfer over some files for starting the OS. an image makes an exact copy of the imaged drive therefor the new drive will start up the computer.

if you have a floppy drive on your laptop you can use a windows98 startup disk to partition and format the new drive.

is it the 80GB that is showing 73GB?? if so, then then that is about right.

car nut is asking you if you have a floppy drive not another spot for a HDD. you may be able to use a desktop computer to make the disk if needed, be sure to copy the USB drivers to the floopy.

a backup of your C: drive to your new 200GB drive will not allow the new drive to startup your computer. a backup does not transfer over some files for starting the OS. an image makes an exact copy of the imaged drive therefor the new drive will start up the computer.

if you have a floppy drive on your laptop you can use a windows98 startup disk to partition and format the new drive.

The 80 GB shows 69.5 GB after being formatted. And it has about 4 GB free. And i dont even think my desktop has a floppy drive.

Norton Ghost has a tool designed for copying a hard drive for a hard drive swap, so I would assumie it copys all of the files for starting the OS. :shrug:

start with the laptop manufacture's website. the should have the updates under "support". normally you will have 2 files-the updated BIOS file and the installer file.

before you update it, make sure you read and understand the directions.

Ok I download the BIOS update. It was released like 4 days ago, so its recent.

Ok, now its is showing all the stuff I backed up onto it. But it is also showing that it is the exact same size as the drive that is currently in the computer. I tried starting it up with it and went to the boot menu and told it to start with the HD and it went to a screen that said: PBR 1

And it just sat there. When I put the old smaller drive back in it said PBR 2 and started up right after that.

put the new disk in and run chkdsk /r at the C> after booting off a windows XP disk and selecting repair [r].

it sounds like a boot error and it doesn't know where to look for the OS. make sure the new drive is set to active.

I think you are sayin that I would just install both HD's? Its a laptop, there is only one HD slot.

Sorry about the confusion. I meant you could keep your original HD in place (internally) and attach the new HD using a USB adapter (small box that fits notebook HDs). Ghost should always detect the new HD, but once in a while you might have to do a Quick Format. I'd highly recommend creating boot diskettes through Norton Ghost.

Sorry about the confusion. I meant you could keep your original HD in place (internally) and attach the new HD using a USB adapter (small box that fits notebook HDs). Ghost should always detect the new HD, but once in a while you might have to do a Quick Format. I'd highly recommend creating boot diskettes through Norton Ghost.

Thats how Ive been copying it. But ill have to see about making a boot when I get home.