Computer Problem

SeventyMach1

Keep it lubed .... keep it straight .... and keep
Mar 30, 2005
North Carolina
Hey guys. All of a sudden my computer won't let me open but one browser window at a time. For example, if I click on a link .... when the new window opens, the old one closes out. Anyone know why this could be?

• Sponsors (?)

Justin, have you done the usual (defrag the drive, clear out IE cache, run adaware products, etc?). I have had similar issues in the past (matter of fact, my current one is an issue with stangnet only, where if I cursor down to the bottom of a thread too quick, the window evaporates. This is intermittant).

I am a real retard with this stuff, but sometimes doing the things above helps (though I am sure you already did).

Otherwise, I have Firefox DL'd on the harddrive for just in case. :rlaugh:

Well, I have fully scanned my entire computer and I've also DEFRAG'ed it.

I don't know for sure .... but there's 2 things that MAY be relevant to my problem, as they're things I've done recently.

1.) A week or so ago, I modified the registry. I edited a key that allowed me to browse up to 10 windows at a time.

2.) I downloaded YIM yesterday.

I'm leaning on #1. I'm gonna go check it now and see if the key is still the same .....

Thanks guys.

Sup Synned! I was waiting for you to chime in, lol.

Does anyone know where the location of that key could have been .... and the normal values? I was using a "common tweak" list and now I can't find it.

Well, I searched for you and this is what I came up with:

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.
Data Type: REG_DWORD [Dword Value] // Value Name: MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server
Setting for Value Data: [0000000a]
Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.
Data Type: REG_DWORD [Dword Value] // Value Name: MaxConnectionsPerServer
Setting for Value Data: [0000000a]
Exit Registry and Reboot

I don't know what you changed, so hopefully by looking at that you can tell.

This is another thing to checL:
Open Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options. In the Advanced tab,
uncheck the option "Reuse windows for launching Shortcuts."
If it is unchecked, try checking it and see if it does any difference.

Alright - we got smart people on here.

As an aside from an idiot, what is the thing with browsing 10 windows at once? Is that for FF or IE. I will assume the former since it should already do it for the latter.

Good luck Justin.

Woohoo! I got the problem fixed. It was something to do with the YIM. When I downloaded it, it also DL'ed "extras" and "toolbar". I went to Add/Remove Programs & noticed them. When I deleted the "extras", an illegal script was detected. After I deleted both of those things .... all is fine now.

Thanks for the help guys!

Nice work Justin. I once DL'd something with a toolbar and it messed me up. I had to delete all the stuff and start over. :bang: