Electrical Confirmation on MSD bypass

Hello! I'm running into an issue where the engine will stumble at 3k rpm, almost as if the rev limiter is being activated. So, I'm looking to bypass the MSD 6AL box on the car to identify if the ignition box is the issue.

My understanding is that the small red wire (ignition switch) connects to the positive side of the MSD Blaster 3 coil, and the white (electronic ignition amplifier) and gray (tach) wires attach to the negative side of the coil. Can anyone confirm that this is correct? If not, what is the correct wiring to bypass the MSD box?

• Sponsors (?)

My opinion is if the car has the stock computer and ignition system get rid of the MSD and the blaster coil.
JMO based on questions here when using the aftermarket add on ignition boxes and aftermarket coils, more often than not they don't play well, those aftermarket coils are not as good as the original Ford coils.
Again my opinion.

what is the gap on your plugs. Stock is around .55 thousands. On a stockish motor, the MSD box and coil do nothing IMO and are prone to failing. The stock coil and ignition is more than capable of 500 hp. You can easily bypass the MSD box by removing the jumper wires and going straight to the coil. If you have a a stock coil, I would throw that back on as well.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user