Considering buying '04 SVT...NEED ADVICE

Feanor

Apr 29, 2004
I'm needed some feedback on a decision I'm facing.

To the point...I'm thinking about buying a new '04 SVT Cobra Coupe. I'm not looking to do any mods to it, not looking to race it, (other than jumping off the line a bit when the light goes green ;-) , I want it as my new daily driver. I do a lot of driving 'round town, I put about 15k miles on a car a year. I change my oil when I'm supposed to, with Mobil 1 every time, etc.

My question is, is this a car that can be good for my needs? Will it be dependable if I take care of it. Can I get 120,000-150,000 miles on this car over time without an unusual number of repairs. More than say your average Mustang GT or say a Ford Taurus or something.

Basically, what's the maintenance look like.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Feanor said:
I'm needed some feedback on a decision I'm facing.

To the point...I'm thinking about buying a new '04 SVT Cobra Coupe. I'm not looking to do any mods to it, not looking to race it, (other than jumping off the line a bit when the light goes green ;-) , I want it as my new daily driver. I do a lot of driving 'round town, I put about 15k miles on a car a year. I change my oil when I'm supposed to, with Mobil 1 every time, etc.

I'm guessing that I have more '03-'04 Cobra miles than 98% or more of the group here, and my answer is absolutely yes. :nice:

Between my '03 and '04 I've accumulated ~40 K miles since September 2002 when I got the '03. Sold it at 36K late March and got the '04 which now has almost 3K on it. (1500 of that is round trip to Nashville for the 40th).

I drive it every day, rain or shine. (No snow down here so I can't speak to that.) I put a catback and intake on both, and have had both on track once.....Last June in Dearborn at the Ford 100 and the new one a couple of weeks ago in Nashville. I had exactly zero problems with the '03, and so far so good on the new one. My wife also drives it (them) occaisionally. Other than tires and oil changes it needed nothing.

Go for it. I can't imagine that you wouldn't be happy with the choice. I'm planning on driving mine until the next gen is available Q3 2006. :p

I say do it. As they say, "if you can't afford the gas that goes in the car, you cannot afford the car." So since thats not a problem for you if you want it as a daily driver, I would have to say the 03 cobra is pretty much bullet proof, exp if your not going to mod or race. And it really is a beautiful model. The best looking mustang out for 04.

(I hate that fake hood scoop on the 02~04 Gt's)

I've had mine since June of 2002, no. 21 of all 03 coupes built. I put a full Bassani on it the first day I had it. A 2.93 pulley and JBA's went on it in July of 02 and a 2.80 the next month. A four pound lower went on it April of last year increasing boost to 18 psi. It picked up a few other mods along the way including 3.90 gears. Mine is a daily driver and it just turned over 35k miles. It's seen several 8-10 inch snows. It's made close to 150 passes down a track and 80 percent of those were on ET Streets with 5k rpm near dump launches pulling a low 1.6 average 60 footer with a best of 1.52 all on the stock clutch and IRS. It's as docile as the 99 and 01 Cobras I owned in the past. The only difference is that when I mash on it in second going 50 mph it breaks loose. I actually get good mileage on the highway with the gear. I got 23 mpg going from Charlotte, NC to Atlanta last year. It will suck up the gas if you stay in the boost. Do I say it's reliable? Darn right. I beat the mortal piss out of it and it takes all I can dish out. The only problem I've had is the stinkin TOB.

I just got mine and plan on using it as my daily driver too. My first fill up netted 19.5 mpg so I expect it to go up to about 22 or so. For it's performance level and fuel economy better than most SUV's you can't beat it.

Yellow Horse, what tires did you have in those 8-10" snows and how did it do?
Thanks

Some one brought up the cost of gas.....the differenc between 87 octane and 93 octane, figuring 1 15 gallon fill up per week is a cost difference of about $195...or $3.75 a week. If that's an issue, then the cost of the Cobra should be a bigger one.

As for reliable...keep up on maintenance. Oil changes, fuel filter, coolant..that type of stuff and you should be fine for 100,000 miles easy. Tires are going to be your problem as you will want a set for winter and summer. Plus, tire wear in general if you are heavy on the foot. If your not heavy on the foot, why buy a Cobra though :shrug: :nice:

I put an insane amount of miles on my car a year; 20 - 25k miles a year. I'm at 66k now and haven't had any problems so far other then, fogged taillights, broken driver side window motor at 10k miles that was fixed under warranty.

All and all, it's been the most sound car I've driven in all my life.
oh yeah, and I beat the piss out of it as well, also w/ mods...see sig. :nice:

Yellow Horse said:
I've had mine since June of 2002, no. 21 of all 03 coupes built. I put a full Bassani on it the first day I had it. A 2.93 pulley and JBA's went on it in July of 02 and a 2.80 the next month. A four pound lower went on it April of last year increasing boost to 18 psi. It picked up a few other mods along the way including 3.90 gears. Mine is a daily driver and it just turned over 35k miles. It's seen several 8-10 inch snows. It's made close to 150 passes down a track and 80 percent of those were on ET Streets with 5k rpm near dump launches pulling a low 1.6 average 60 footer with a best of 1.52 all on the stock clutch and IRS. It's as docile as the 99 and 01 Cobras I owned in the past. The only difference is that when I mash on it in second going 50 mph it breaks loose. I actually get good mileage on the highway with the gear. I got 23 mpg going from Charlotte, NC to Atlanta last year. It will suck up the gas if you stay in the boost. Do I say it's reliable? Darn right. I beat the mortal piss out of it and it takes all I can dish out. The only problem I've had is the stinkin TOB.

I must say your story makes quite a testament to the '03 Cobra and Ford Motor Co., but unfortunately I believe your story is the exception and not the rule! Maybe it's because people tend to post their bad experiences more often than the good?

U.M.

The reason I posted is truly because of what Uncle Meat said. I looked throught the forums, reading posts trying to find out if an SVT would be dependable. Most of what you have here is "I've got a problem with *blah, blah, blah* can someone help me?" Which is perfectly understandable...that's what great about forums...getting advice.

I wanted to find out if anyone would say..."Yeah...it's great...it should last you a good long time as a daily driver."

As for Gray02GT's post...I have to ask... does ANYONE need a Cobra. I'd have to say no. The reason I WANT the 390hp of the SVT is because I miss the horsepower of my old goat. Two years ago I sold my 400hp '70 GTO, I miss it dearly. It was cherry. See link for pics and videos:

http://www.jimhoeg.com/jimmy/interests/1970gto.htm

I had no garage to keep this car in...it was a carwash and a wax job every morning of a car show. Ended up selling the car...that would free up the cash to build the garage I needed...(along with the new house to which it's attached)

Anyhow...The new garage became a place to keep my car and my wife's and my woodshop. My new hobby.

I've got a ton of diverse interests but just haven't had to chance, the time, the money to become a handyman car guy. I will own another classic at sometime but my priorities are a little different at this time in my life and I just can't take care of a classic the way it needs to be.

Soon I'm going to need a new car. I want a car, brand new, with a warranty...but I also want to fill that hole left by my goat. I want to feel that get up and go I used to have.

BTW...you may be asking, have I considered a new '04 GTO? Well the answer is, if I were blind then yes, but since I'm not and anyhow...how would a blind person drive...the answer is *heck NO* U-G-L-Y ....no oversized Grand Prix for me. Pontiac missed that mark.

Well...probably more than most of you cared to know about me but...oh well...at least you might better understand my rationale.

AS long as you can afford the Gas then go for it. These things suck gas like no other car from the factory!

I am able to get 250-260 miles a tank if I take it easy... If I get on it every now and then I get like 180-190 miles a tank. If I drive it like it should be driven, I get about 150 miles or less per tank.

When the blower kicks in you can almost watch the freaking needle move :D

Uncle Meat said:
I must say your story makes quite a testament to the '03 Cobra and Ford Motor Co., but unfortunately I believe your story is the exception and not the rule! Maybe it's because people tend to post their bad experiences more often than the good?

U.M.

Maybe, maybe not. I think my engine is safe since JDM does all my tuning. They know what they are doing. I beat on mine within reason. There are people that just don't have a reason to be behind the wheel of a 400 crank HP car let alone one pushing 480 rwhp.

As far as negativity, some people would bitch if you hung them with a new rope. I've owned a 99 and an 01 Cobra and have driven Fords all my life. I've been to a lot of meets, shows, races and 10-12 tracks I run on from VA, TN, SC and NC. I've met a ton of Cobra owners. A lot of people buying the 03/04 Cobras today are not Ford fans, Mustang fans of Cobra fans. They bought it because it was fast. They would have just as easily have bought a 350Z if it packed 400 HP. The reality is the 03/04 has attracted some with crappy attitudes. Just reading some of the posts make me sick. They use the slang da dis, da dat in their posts and bitch after bitch. You see these people all the time in public. These are the guys that blow up at a waiter or a cashier because someone didn't jump through hoops for them. They can't be pleased. There is one member on another board that had an engine replaced in his "first" 03, two sets of tires, two trans and one differential. He got that car lemoned and replaced with another 03. That car got another engine and he was working on lemoning it also. Give me a break. I've gotten when I see someone complaining to do a username search and what I've found is the type of person I spoke of previously. I couldn't be a Ford dealer because I couldn't put up with a contrary bastard driving into my service department everyday wanting a car that is impossible to build in their eyes.

Yellow Horse said:
As far as negativity, some people would bitch if you hung them with a new rope. I've owned a 99 and an 01 Cobra and have driven Fords all my life. I've been to a lot of meets, shows, races and 10-12 tracks I run on from VA, TN, SC and NC. I've met a ton of Cobra owners. A lot of people buying the 03/04 Cobras today are not Ford fans, Mustang fans of Cobra fans. They bought it because it was fast. They would have just as easily have bought a 350Z if it packed 400 HP. The reality is the 03/04 has attracted some with crappy attitudes. Just reading some of the posts make me sick. They use the slang da dis, da dat in their posts and bitch after bitch. You see these people all the time in public. These are the guys that blow up at a waiter or a cashier because someone didn't jump through hoops for them. They can't be pleased. There is one member on another board that had an engine replaced in his "first" 03, two sets of tires, two trans and one differential. He got that car lemoned and replaced with another 03. That car got another engine and he was working on lemoning it also. Give me a break. I've gotten when I see someone complaining to do a username search and what I've found is the type of person I spoke of previously. I couldn't be a Ford dealer because I couldn't put up with a contrary bastard driving into my service department everyday wanting a car that is impossible to build in their eyes.
THANK YOU!!!

Yellow Horse said:
Maybe, maybe not. I think my engine is safe since JDM does all my tuning. They know what they are doing. I beat on mine within reason. There are people that just don't have a reason to be behind the wheel of a 400 crank HP car let alone one pushing 480 rwhp.

:hail2: Amen!! Have had Fords ever since i started driving and other then small problems fixed under warranty no problems. My 03 Cobra ranks right at the top of best car i,ve owned. I say go for it you only go down the road of life once live it as best you can.