Considering buying the Maximum grip box from MM

Hey guys...I'm in the process of building up my 91 lx coupe right now. Putting an injected 408W in it with nitrous ported AFR 205 heads. Now that I have pretty much all the engine parts in my posession (in the process of assemling the engine at the moment) I'm considering buying the Maximum Grip box from Maximum Motorsports. I'm basicly looking to make my car an awesome street/strip car. I'll be doing drag racing as well a good number of night time cruises with the car. I have the whole thing priced out including shipping and everything and I'm likely going to be ordering it in a few days unless I get some bad opinions on it.

Basicly I'm just wondering if anybody has this kit (or any other MM kits) and has any opinions. I've bought some of their stuff in the past for my other cars and was very impressed over all.

Thanks for any help guys :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I don't have the entire kit, but I have a few items from MM, and I can tell you that they are excellent pieces. The quality is great. You will not be dissapointed. I highly recommend the coilovers. The ride is rediculously comfortable, and the performance is great.

Whats so great about these boxes? Both my rear lower boxes got ripped up about 12 years ago, So had a guy plate the whole rear area out with 1/4 plate steel. Cost me some money, but figure it was well worth it.:nice:

BlooDReigN said:
Hey guys...I'm in the process of building up my 91 lx coupe right now. Putting an injected 408W in it with nitrous ported AFR 205 heads. Now that I have pretty much all the engine parts in my posession (in the process of assemling the engine at the moment) I'm considering buying the Maximum Grip box from Maximum Motorsports. I'm basicly looking to make my car an awesome street/strip car. I'll be doing drag racing as well a good number of night time cruises with the car. I have the whole thing priced out including shipping and everything and I'm likely going to be ordering it in a few days unless I get some bad opinions on it.

Basicly I'm just wondering if anybody has this kit (or any other MM kits) and has any opinions. I've bought some of their stuff in the past for my other cars and was very impressed over all.

Thanks for any help guys :nice:

i absolutely will never own anouther fox with out putting atleast the grip box on it. it makes the car so much better to drive. and the handiling is completely perdictable. MM grip FTW!

Hink said:
Whats so great about these boxes? Both my rear lower boxes got ripped up about 12 years ago, So had a guy plate the whole rear area out with 1/4 plate steel. Cost me some money, but figure it was well worth it.:nice:

He is not talking about torque box re-enforcement, he is talking about MM's suspension packages. www.maximummotorsports.com

You really can't go wrong with Maximum Motorsports.

If you are speaking about the kit with the panhard bar, torque arm, it does not do all that well for drag racing. The handling is insane though.

My buddy tested it on a car at his shop. It was a super handling machine, but it just didn't like to 60ft real well.

You kinda suggest you are going to drag race, but then you are looking at a roadrace suspension. Rarely do they go hand and hand well.
And with a 408, i think you are going to have serious weight transfer issues.

If i'm reading their page correctly and matching it to the "maximum grip" package you want, you are looking at over 4 grand.

IMO, buy the parts from them, just not all of the parts. You really don't need every piece, alot of money will goto waste.

I'd start off with:
shocks, struts
upper+lower control arms
Springs
Subframes
CC plates
endlinks

And then see how you like it, you can always buy more stuff if you feel you need it.

Blood,
IMO it's overkill, as i said above, i'd start with the parts i've listed, and move on to the PHB and TA later, they are very expensive and even more expensive to have welded on.
It come with other crap you just dont' need too, like a strut brace, k brace.
Use the money you save and buy some big ass brakes.

Looks like you have an easy 11 second combo, you are not going to be happy with the fact that it runs 12's regardless of tires because you are on an all out roadrace suspension.
Your car is going to be nose heavy, and the first time on the street you line up next to a mild combo car, with good tires, he's going to get way out front.

BTW, it's the PHB that makes the car so predictable, rears are known to move up to 2 inches under hard cornerning.

Build it up slow, and see how you like each part, before you get balls deep in $4500 worth of stuff.

My car has a fair amount of suspension, car handles well above average, and still hooks.

Well what parts in that whole package will make the car have terrible 60' times? Unless I get insanely stiff shocks and springs in it (which I do not intend on doing, because this is a street car primarily) what will make this car have traction issues at the line?

I can't see the car being terribly nose heavy either. With the aluminum heads, tubular k-member, tubular a-arms, fiberglass hood and trunk mounted battery it will likely have a better weight distribution than stock despite the added weight of the 351.

As for the welding of the subframe connectors etc, I'm a welder so I can do all that stuff myself not a problem.

With pretty much any good spring for handling, (Eibach Pro Kit, H&R sport or race, etc.) the car will not transfer weight all that well. You have already said low low 60's don't matter a whole lot to you. With a slick or even a drag radial, you will still get a 1.9 - 2.0 60'. For me and my street car, that would be great.

You are also right about the 408 not weighing that much more with all of the parts you mentioned. People get too carried away with internet BS about a Windsor block wieghing too much. The torque you will get will be worth it.

In my opinion, the MM grip box would be a great addition to any car. Go with the Coil overs though.

The springs and the TA setup are likely what makes straight line traction the worst, and i believe they are a matched set from MM.

Sounds like you are convinced you want it. I like their stuff and the quality of it, but to me it sounds like you want more of a street/strip setup, than a roadrace. And that's exactly what you plan on buying.
When i say street/strip, i don't mean street/drag, i mean just an average beefed up suspension. That MM kit is probably second to none other than the griggs in the area of hardcore RR.

This issue is what makes the run and gun competitions so tuff. (drag and road race). It's just so hard to do both well. And generally the winning car has 10 second power, but still runs a low 12.

There parts are topnotch, unlike there Customer service. I spent over $1000.00 then had to spend $100.00 cause someone at Maximum Motorsport did not ship all the parts. They would not work with me. They would not accept the fact that they screwed up. so I had to pay for the part. And they wouldn't even meet me halfway. Then they made me pay for shipping. They wouldn't meet me halfway on that either.

I have never had a problem with MM as long as I have done business with them. Their CS was friendly and they answered all my questions about suspension that I had.

Sorry you had a bad experience with them, Gruvee87vertgt.

Their products are quality pieces and I have never been disapointed with their stuff.

the stock 4 link geometry is pretty good for drag racing, just get beefier pieces, the torque arm will mess up weight transfer, it tries to lift the middle of the car, which is not good. You want squat when you launch, and if you have a 408 in a fox, it's pretty well decided that it's not gonna handle properly. nose-heavy push untill all that torque snaps the back out. I guess what I'm trying to say is that those road race packages are engineered specifically for the car, when you throw weight distribution off so far, the package doesn't function as it should. MM goes as far as to have bilstein build them a specific mustang shock, with custom valving for our cars, matched to a proper spring, etc. it gets' more specific.

I am going to have to go with BloodReign. There is nothing that would severely hurt your drag times and the benefit from a car that much more fun on the street would severely outweigh any negative effects at the strip that I don't even believe would occur.

-Me

BlooDReigN, who do you plan to buy the parts from? 2000xp8 is quoting $4,500 but if you look around you can usually find someone who buys all of MM's parts in bulk. In most cases they pass the savings on to you and you save a bundle. I buy all my MM stuff from places like http://www.stangsuspension.com . They carry everything that MM sells from their website, however they don't have the maximum grip package for your year. You'd probably still be better off piecing it together from them though. Great customer service and shipping is usually speedy. Hope this helps and by the way MM ROCKS!!! :nice:

89Notch said:
I am going to have to go with BloodReign. There is nothing that would severely hurt your drag times and the benefit from a car that much more fun on the street would severely outweigh any negative effects at the strip that I don't even believe would occur.

-Me

Trust me, it does make a mess out of the launch, the car transfer no weight, it's almost like it's completely rigid. No squat, no nose rise, just a ton of wheelspin, likely well into third gear with this guys power.