Contemplating ditching the PS and AC

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
In the garage
So the 90 is a weekend toy/ Drive it to shows and on Sunny Days. I am thinking about deleting the PS and AC to clean up the engine bay. I never use the AC and was thinking of putting 17 x 4 skinnies on the front and a manual rack.

I know I am going against my better judgment here, but am really leaning towards this. Anyone who has done this- not wanting to change to a standard rotation water pump. Did you relocate your tensioner to the driver side or reverse the spring to make this work.
1613941844943.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

Imo I would keep p.s. and remove a/c .
I haven't had a/c on my car in over 10yrs and never missed it but keep in mind I live in CT.
and only drive it about 500 mi. year.
What about electric p/s to clean up the look ? Seems like a Volvo unit is growing in popularity .

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t have ps or ac and it really cleans up the bay. A flaming river manual rack steers really nice, especially if you have some skinnies on the front.

I actually used the sn95 brackets I had on hand when I put the engine in my 91, and ended up using the idler pulley, but changed it over from a smooth to grooved pulley.

If you absolutely hate it you can always change back.

Arm wrestling a manual rack in a parking lot with a crowd watching. Good times. That will be any car show you ever go to. Thinking about doing just that on a hot ass Ohio summer day with 90% humidity makes me happy I have both. I guess the a/c just depends on your region.

Despite what you might hear from those that claim otherwise, a manual rack is a pain in the dick. The only time it can be made any more tolerable is as been stated above, when using a narrow section width tire.

But then you start going the way of the drag car, and each time you make a change to accommodate the decision to modify something one way or the other, you have to deal with the negative consequences as a result. ( in this case, Handling, and Braking).

You live in Florida I believe,...I wouldn’t make it out of the driveway in July w/o air conditioning if I lived in Florida..Alabama is bad enough.. And again, negative consequences..Sweat, Wind noise, No more “casual conversations“ and the audio system sound quality goes straight to hell. And the more intolerable we make these things to drive, moves them one step closer to a date with the auction block.

I have a manual rack. But I also have a Prius EPS motor tied into my factory steering column..Best of both worlds..Clean engine bay,..one hand steering at the car shows. For me, a 7 out of 10 difficulty mod. I also have an aftermarket “street rod” AC system..allows me to put the compressor where I wanted it, the inlet, and outlets hoses run under the passenger side fender. The biggest issue with the Mustang AC system is the factory stuff is just so cluttered and everything sits right on top.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
I'll argue in favor of a manual rack, but I'd never give up A/C (then again, I'm from Texas).

Using a Mustang II manual rack (with the requisite offset bushings for it to fit) will give you effortless steering while you're rolling with skinny tires and still isn't difficult to turn when at slow speeds or stopped (I'm running 205/55/16s on the front of the SuperPinto).

I cannot see deleting ac on anything but a race car, and we do not have swamps and an ocean for humidity. I can see cleaning up the hose routing, replacing the crappy foam, and polishing the compressor.

The electric PS sounds cool, but if the compressor is there, is the pump visible enough to be worth eliminating?

Save all parts when you do this anyway. You or the next owner will eventually want them back.

• Agree
I removed both on my 93 vert years ago. I regretted it as soon as I finished. I didn't go skinnies on the front so can't say...but it was a royal pain to steer at slower speeds. I never used AC so thought I would be fine without. A few years down the road had me regretting this decision too. Texas and Florida heat plus adding a few years to the body can really make one think differently! Good luck!

I've had a flaming river manual rack in a nice clean 91GT that I daily drove for a few years during the nice seasons. Also had AC deleted in that car which was cool because it acheived my goal of having an uncluttered engine bay but started to suck after a while because of cases where your sitting in traffic or barely moving etc. I really liked removing those power steering lines never having to worry about them leaking or being in the way. Loved the shorter belt and more room in the engine bay. I figured people used to drive those big boats in the 50's and 60's with no power steering or power brakes so why couldn't I manage?

Honestly driving, moving you wouldn't know it was a manual steering setup, it's when your completely stopped is the problem. Dead stop requires effort to move the wheels. I did get used to kind of rocking the car slightly as I turn the wheels since car was a manual to minimize effort required. I could see parking in the city between two cars on a curb would royally suck but I never had to do that nor would I put myself in that situation knowing with the manual steering it would such hard.

Last edited:
I deleted both. I have no problem with the lack of ps. Up in Maine ac isn’t really necessary. Currently, my alternator is on the right side with a turnbuckle adjuster. I eventually plan to put a Vortech on my car and did a lot of research as how to make it work. All the links are on my computer, which I don’t currently have, but I determined the easiest was was to run a left side alternator kit like the one from breeze or on3.

AC is a personal choice. I know some people that refuse to use it, meanwhile I turn it on even if it's 70 degrees out. I regretted deleting my A/C 20 years ago, so i'm looking forward to getting that back on the car.

Normally i'd say leave the PS alone, but with 17x4's skinnies, I don't think it will be an issue. Plus I doubt you are daily driving this. Would I delete it? no

I took off the AC in my 347 Mustang. Put the big and littles on. Eked out a 7.90 at 93 in the 1/8. Slow race car, slow street car and never drove it. Put 17 X 9s in the front. 17 x 10s in the rear 5 lug. Put the sway bars back on. Changed the 4:10s to 3:73 and now drive it every second I can. Hoping the Holley Annihilator will make it even more drivable. Just my .02 cents.

I took off the AC in my 347 Mustang. Put the big and littles on. Eked out a 7.90 at 93 in the 1/8. Slow race car, slow street car and never drove it. Put 17 X 9s in the front. 17 x 10s in the rear 5 lug. Put the sway bars back on. Changed the 4:10s to 3:73 and now drive it every second I can. Hoping the Holley Annihilator will make it even more drivable. Just my .02 cents.
Forgot. Of course put the AC back in.

@Mustang5L5
“AC is a personal choice. I know some people that refuse to use it...”

Wait, are we talking about AC or deodorant? Sweating and smelling like a pig is also a personal choice, but it will not make the OP popular with other humans. :ack:

• Haha
So the 90 is a weekend toy/ Drive it to shows and on Sunny Days. I am thinking about deleting the PS and AC to clean up the engine bay. I never use the AC and was thinking of putting 17 x 4 skinnies on the front and a manual rack.

I know I am going against my better judgment here, but am really leaning towards this. Anyone who has done this- not wanting to change to a standard rotation water pump. Did you relocate your tensioner to the driver side or reverse the spring to make this work.
1613941844943.jpeg
With the AC out it’s such a cleaner look. I was like you and contemplated for awhile before I just finally said screw it, and removed it. Don’t drive it daily whatsoever, I’m more of a car show, weekend cruiser etc so I’d rather have it look clean and open. It made a huge difference I think. Also did you cut that hole for the wires to run through and up to the solenoid? I keep debating on moving my msd box from the passenger side to inside the fender some where since I’m in the process of the wire tuck, but idk if thats a good idea.

Oh man I’m contemplating throwing these Scott rod panels in while I have everything cleared since I’m in the process of the wire tuck. Did you have to drill then pop all the rivets in? Also what did you use to cut the hole for the passenger side?
I am comfortable with the Aviation or Offset tin snips. The traditional big handle with little beak or HD scissor type are clumsy. I’d drill a pilot hole inside the carefully marked desired final hole and work my way out with right or left cut snips.
I wonder if those show panels are a really good water trap and will help rust out the inner fender panel and rail. If you never see a puddle and rarely get the car wet, I am probably paranoid. For a driver, drain holes underneath seem like a requirement.
E1319237-4CA9-492E-9016-AAAF8B297942.png